Suriken

The San Antonio Spurs

Рекомендуемые сообщения

Классический документальный ролик про путешествие Тима Данкана в НБА (из серии NBA Journey) в винтажном переводе от НТВ https://vk.com/sa_spurs?w=wall-53931403_72305

Поделиться сообщением

В 13.05.2019 в 20:58, Живиле сказал:

Классический документальный ролик про путешествие Тима Данкана в НБА (из серии NBA Journey) в винтажном переводе от НТВ https://vk.com/sa_spurs?w=wall-53931403_72305

Ух ты! Спасибо огромное,смотрел этот  видос сто лет назад. Данкан все таки самый крутой игрок в истории . ИМХО конечно

Поделиться сообщением

немножечка матерьяльчика, про бенмурчика https://theathletic.com/974377/2019/05/13/hes-a-dog-ben-moore-has-the-right-tools-and-the-reward-could-be-huge-if-the-spurs-can-enhance-his-game/

Спойлер

Toggle navigation

GIVE A GIFT

MY TEAMS CITIES NHL MLB NFL NBA CFB CBB SOCCER FANTASY VIDEOS PODCASTS

‘He’s a dog’: Ben Moore has the right tools, and the reward could be huge if the Spurs can enhance his game

By Jabari Young May 13, 2019 1 

SAN ANTONIO – The scene was nothing special at the Spurs practice facility, but it was undoubtedly one of the more remarkable things that stood out once the doors opened and media were allowed in the gym.

In the middle of a first-round playoff series against the Denver Nuggets, and with the Spurs holding a 2-1 series advantage entering Game 4, one of the last guys on off the court in the practice session was Ben Moore. He was working on his shooting at one of the sideline baskets.

Moore knew the chances were slim that he would get any minutes in the series, but that did not deter him from putting in the extra work. And, as it turns out, while the postseason was in progress, Moore was busy getting prepared for his next stint.

“Summer League is my next season,” Moore said.

Some outside of San Antonio, and maybe some fans who live in the city, might be wondering: Who is Ben Moore?

He’s the latest Spurs undercover project, scheduled to be unleashed once he’s ready — if Moore ever reaches that point. He’s a guy the Spurs signed to a two-way deal last November and added to the G League roster in Austin.

Moore, who turns 24 today (May 13), has the potential to be a solid player should he continue on his current trajectory, with improvement in one particular area along the way.

Moore is … well, let rookie Lonnie Walker tell it.

“He’s a dog,” Walker said of his Austin Spurs teammate. “When I watch him guarding other people, he’s not letting go of the gas. Yeah, that dude is a dog.”

“Works his butt off,” said Blake Ahearn, Moore’s G League coach in Austin. “A real cerebral player. Plays hard and competes. He does all the little things you can’t teach.”

Those attributes are just some of the many things the Spurs are intrigued with when with comes to Moore, and the team will grant him an opportunity improve his game with the hope that he can return to their program next season.

The most common things mentioned about Moore, though, are his character and attitude. That goes a long way with Gregg Popovich and company. Take a more in-depth look at Moore, and you’ll find additional attributes brings to the game, and those are why those who know him, coached him and have played with him feel sure about his future.

Praise from the coaches

Moore remembers the day he got the call from his agent, Daniel Poneman of Beyond Athlete Management, about the two-way contract. There had been signs the Spurs were interested, then a feeling a proposal could be coming, then, at last, the arrival of an offer.

Moore was arriving back from a Nov. 16 game as a member of the Fort Wayne Mad Ants, the G League affiliate of the Indiana Pacers, where he recorded 17 points and four rebounds in a win over the Maine Red Claws.

Shortly after landing and being bused back to the apartment complex where the players were staying, Moore received notification of the offer, accepted the deal and followed his next set of instructions.

“Pack your stuff up and leave in the morning,” Moore recalled Poneman telling him.

Though the Spurs signed him on a two-way after monitoring him with the Pacers, it couldn’t have been the first time the front office had been aware of Moore. He attended SMU for four years and played under former NBA head coach Larry Brown, who has deep ties to the Spurs (he coached the team from 1988 to 1992), Popovich and general manager R.C. Buford.

Brown spoke highly of Moore coming out of SMU in an article by The Ringer, making sure he praised not only Moore’s work ethic and desire to win but also, and most importantly, his ability to handle Brown’s coaching style.

“A lot of the guys I’ve been lucky enough to coach always felt I was better than they were, and that I was maybe expecting too much of them,” Brown told The Ringer. “But Ben came to practice every day with an unbelievable will to win. He’s one remarkable kid. I’ve been so lucky to be around great teammates, and he’s a special teammate.”

Despite such praise, Moore went undrafted in 2017. He signed with the Pacers, who attempted to develop him in their program, but when the chance to sign a more lucrative two-way deal appeared, Moore had to accept.

Brown did his part to preview the world about Moore, and another former NBA coach with a close relationship to Popovich also started to rave about Moore last summer.

When USA World Cup qualifying team head coach Jeff Van Gundy started to watch G League film to help identify players to add to the roster, Moore stood out. And the more Van Gundy watched, the more interested he became.

To Van Gundy, Moore had a toughness to his game, “a competitive spirit that’s not common in today’s player.” To confirm, Van Gundy needed to see it himself, not through the lens of a video camera.

“Someone told me long ago in coaching, ‘You don’t know somebody until you actually coach them yourself,’” Van Gundy told The Athletic. “And I found that to be so true about Ben. I appreciated a lot about him, but I didn’t appreciate the totality of the package. Off of film, it’s hard to say I know he’s a great competitor. But when you coach him, you know he’s a great competitor.”

(Mark Sobhani / Getty Images)

Letting his actions speak

On film, Moore’s game showed he’s far from perfect, but there are many things that Moore does well. He can work the pick-and-roll, and he rolls hard to the basket. Moore is good at understanding how to time rebounds, and he excels at offensive rebounding (he finished with 159 offensive rebounds last season, fourth-most in the G League).

“The cutting ability and the ball movement ability,” Van Gundy said.

Moore played with Team USA last fall, where Van Gundy had a chance to watch him closely. The longtime head coach recalled how quiet Moore appeared to be. It wasn’t that he refused to talk, but Moore was busy observing, learning, practicing what he learned, then excelling in the show-and-prove department.

“A man of few words and a lot of action,” Van Gundy said. “That’s what I love about him. Your actions speak so loudly I can barely hear what you say. The Spurs value that kind of guy. A lot of people from other organizations value somebody saying something outlandish or doing something outlandish versus the consistency that Ben’s approach will lend itself to. Ben speaks loudly by action.”

And it’s this mindset that leaves Van Gundy confident Moore will continue to improve and grow. The defensive traits are there, but …

“He needs to make another big jump if he’s going to solidify his career in the NBA,” Van Gundy said.

And that jump is mainly centered on Moore’s shooting.

When Moore was coming out of college, some scouts were not overwhelmed by his game. They saw his work ethic, they saw his hustle when running the floor in transition, and Moore’s vertical explosiveness was on display, too. But for Moore’s size — he’s listed at 6-foot-8, the size of a three or four position in the NBA — his shooting needed work.

Moore didn’t attempt a 3-pointer until his final season at SMU; he went 1-of-5. He finished his collegiate stint averaging 11.4 points and 7.8 rebounds in 35 games his senior season, where he played a lot at the center spot.

Van Gundy noticed Moore’s shooting struggles while the pair were together last year but warned against labeling Moore’s jumper “broken.” He said Moore is capable of making a corner 3-pointer but has to get his shot up a little quicker and find his comfort zone. Van Gundy also feels Moore’s jumper has improved, but more work is needed.

And because of Moore’s basketball IQ, a characteristic Van Gundy mentioned numerous times, he feels that 3-point shot will see a percentage increase due to the player’s determination.

“Fools never get better,” Van Gundy said. “Serious-minded players always get better, and that’s who Ben is; that is why I don’t think it’s a stretch to think he’s going to be a much better player in a year, two years, three years because he’s serious, he’s hardworking, and it means something to him.”

Moore’s time with the Spurs is also satisfying for Van Gundy because of Chip Engelland’s presence. The longtime Spurs assistant coach is paid handsomely to assist in fixing shots. He did it with Tony Parker and Kawhi Leonard. He helped Kyle Anderson, and Engelland is now working with Dejounte Murray.

“Chip has proven himself to be a great teacher,” Van Gundy said. “But a teacher is only as good as how much effort and the coachability the student has. And then as a student, I believe (Moore) will give everything he has to Chip to develop that shot.”

The “dog” role model: Patrick Beverley. (Tom Szczerbowski / USA Today)

Becoming a dog

Roughly 45 minutes before Game 5, Walker sat at his locker stall at the Pepsi Center. Walker lifted his head, no longer intent on his phone, and was asked to provide a brief description of Moore for someone who had never watched him play in Austin.

“He does everything that people don’t do,” Walker said. “He attacks offensive rebounds really good. He’s a great driver. He can handle the ball. … He has an overall different type of work ethic when it comes to playing on that court, you know? A lot of people go 50 percent, 80 percent here and there, 90 percent. With him, 100 percent is always guaranteed.”

Perhaps that attitude can be traced to how Moore has had to earn things the hard way. Being coached by Ahearn, a G League journeyman himself during his playing days, Moore should know better than most the importance of showing up every night. You never know what NBA decision-maker might be watching.

Maybe Moore gives 100 percent at all times because that’s the criteria for being what those in basketball circles call “a dog.” It’s a compliment. A dog is a player who displays maximum effort, especially on defense, on nearly every possession. Someone who’s not afraid to get physical, be aggressive, make their defensive assignment earn every basket. And the more difficult, the better.

The Spurs know all about dogs on defensive. Bruce Bowen was a dog.

Remember Tony Allen? The Spurs do. He was a dog.

Out in Los Angeles, the Clippers have Patrick Beverley. He’s the current defensive dog in the NBA.

Being from Illinois, Moore said he studied Allen and Beverley and aspired to be a dog, too.

“They’re definitely good examples of how to be tenacious on defense,” Moore told The Athletic. “How to bring it every possession. It’s an honor to be labeled something like that. Being a tenacious defender and people recognize it, that would be dope.”

Asked what trait he believes a player of that caliber needs to own, Moore said: “You got to be relentless. You got to have that mentality throughout your life. I feel like you get it from the jump. You get it when you’re young, and you kind of just build with it from there.”

Told of Moore’s ambitions to be known as one of the fiercer defenders in the NBA, Van Gundy approves but also advises that Moore not change his demeanor to reach that status.

“Beverley and Tony Allen are both very outgoing. They are going to let you know,” Van Gundy said. “Ben is not naturally that way, and he doesn’t have to try to be that way to be a great competitor.”

More in store

Moore didn’t speak much, but his eyes were firmly planted on the action as he sat on the second row behind the Spurs’ bench during Game 4 against the Nuggets.

It’s these moments that Popovich wants young players to study. Don’t just sit on the second row chatting and applauding a big play during the postseason. Focus on the sets, the way the opponents are guarding; prepare for your own moment.

“You study everything,” Moore said. “You see the different reads that go into the games. You see how Coach Pop is coaching and the adjustments he’s making. You see what the players are doing out there; what spots they are picking and choosing and kind of getting their buckets from. Where they are playing their defense at and their defensive intensity.”

With the postseason over in San Antonio, Moore reflected on his first season in Austin, where he averaged 12.9 points and 8.8 rebounds in 47 games with a team that finished 20-30 in the G League Western Conference.

“A giant learning experience,” Moore said. “I definitely feel like I progressed individually throughout the season. As a team, we didn’t win the way we wanted to, and I think that’s the most important thing when you’re playing as far as development. As far as anything goes is winning. It didn’t go as expected necessarily as far as the winning, but when you lose, you learn a lot from losing.”

And here’s what Moore learned through the losing: Remain steady. He watched Derrick White have a breakout Game 3 only to struggle in Game 4. There will be highs and lows.

“You have to stay even-keeled throughout the games, throughout the season, no matter which way it’s going,” Moore said. “Staying even-keeled, staying relentless. You can’t get complacent or anything like that. You got to keep pushing through it. Just a lot of different things like that.”

Guys in Moore’s position and with his skill set are often asked to fulfill the role of an energy guy — someone who comes into the game doesn’t do too much but remembers to execute the little things to help a team win.

(Chris Covatta / Getty Images)

As Moore prepares for the next step in his career, Van Gundy doesn’t want him to shortchange his potential. Sure, being an energy guy is excellent, and some players have successful careers and make millions by being mastering that role.

But why can’t Ben Moore be more than that?

“When you have a great capacity for work, and you’re smart,” Van Gundy said, “and you’ve got very good athletic ability, who knows? Maybe he can be more than just an energy guy. I mean, that’s not a knock, but maybe he can be more than that.”

Again, Moore will have his chance as one of the four players the Spurs plan to pinpoint this summer. Behind the scenes, team officials like Moore. They feel his character fits the Spurs culture, and they will provide him with the tools and coaching in hopes they can benefit, too, as he develops.

“I think that shows the level of commitment to him that equals the commitment that he gives to his teams,” Van Gundy said. “It’s a terrific fit because they do value humility, which Ben has. They value defense, which Ben does. And they value a basketball intelligence, which Ben has.”

A simple message

It’s a basic tattoo, one that Moore decided to add to his body last summer. Designed inside of a plain border, the words “Spread Love” appear on Moore’s upper body. No fancy art accompanies the wording. Moore wanted the message itself to stand out.

“A lot of hate going on in this world right now,” Moore said. “You got to remind yourself every day to spread a little love.”

As Moore prepares for his next season — in Utah and Las Vegas — his mission isn’t just basketball-related, though it will take up the majority of his time. Let Van Gundy tell it: Moore will get better at his craft in hopes it will propel him to new levels.

But when Moore discusses his journey, you get the sense he is also contemplating ways to get better as a man. Asked what his endgame is, Moore keeps it plain and simple, like his tattoo.

“Progress the most as I can as an individual,” Moore said, “and see where it takes me.”

(Top photo: Allison Farrand / Getty Images)

What did you think of this story?

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

Jabari Young is a Staff Writer for The Athletic, covering the San Antonio Spurs. He has covered the Spurs since 2013 for the San Antonio Express-News and spent one season covering the Portland Trail Blazers in 2014-15. Follow Jabari on Twitter @JabariJYoung.

1  COMMENT

Lonnie J.

May 13, 5:21pm

1 like

Sounds like he can have himself a decent NBA career if he develops a shot. I'm excited to see the summer league squad

READ MORE

Live Q&A: Jabari Young answered your Spurs questions on Wednesday, May 1

By  Jabari Young

Apr 30

Grit, aggression and fight: How Spurs extended their season to a Game 7 in Denver

Jabari Young

Apr 25 2 Comments

For Spurs to prevail in Game 6, Derrick White needs to pass a new education course  

Jabari Young

Apr 23 9 Comments

National

NHL

MLB

NFL

NBA

College Football

College Basketball

Fantasy Football

Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Basketball

Fantasy Hockey

Golf

Soccer

MLS

Premier League

La Liga

Champions League

International Soccer

NWSL

The Athletic Ink

Podcasts

Video

US

Arizona

Atlanta

Baltimore

Bay Area

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indiana

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Minnesota

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma

Oregon

Orlando

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Sacramento

San Antonio

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Utah

Washington DC

Wisconsin

Canada

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Montréal (français)

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Buy a Gift

Student Discount

Share for $10

HQ

Blog

Careers

Code of Conduct

Business Inquiries

Press Inquiries

Writing Inquiries

Support

FAQ

Forgot Password?

Redeem Gift

Email Us

©2019 The Athletic Media Company. All rights reserved.

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Payment Terms

support@theathletic.com

который безусловно евляетца двоюродным племянникомовом Поповича и Бьюфорда (ПАТФО) по линии Ларри Брауна

gallery_xlarge.jpg

basketball-650x337.jpg

-----

смотрим здесь же мокдрафта на вебсайте https://theathletic.com/973368/2019/05/14/vecenie-2019-nba-mock-draft-4-0-draft-order-set-post-lottery-edition/

Спойлер

Toggle navigation

NBA

GIVE A GIFT

Vecenie: 2019 NBA Mock Draft, 4.0 — Draft order set, post-lottery edition

By Sam Vecenie May 14, 2019 72 

In the first year of the new, flattened lottery system, the NBA got what it wanted.

Chaos.

During the lottery, the Lakers, who had a 9.4 percent chance of moving into the top-four, and the Grizzlies, who had a 26.3 percent chance; moved up. But the biggest stunner of them all was that the New Orleans Pelicans, who had just a six percent chance to win the lottery, did just that and will receive the rights to select the best player to enter the NBA Draft since the last time they had the No. 1 overall pick in 2012: Zion Williamson.

It’s a remarkable turn of events that will have a wide-ranging impact across the NBA over the next decade. We’ll talk about that more later. But the other thing that this does is shake up a lottery that does not have much of a consensus beyond the top-three. Here’s a quick look at what I’m projecting following what may be the most stunning lottery in league history.

1. New Orleans Pelicans — Zion Williamson

6-7 forward, freshman, Duke

It was speculated that Williamson would be available to the Pelicans via trade if the team with the best odds of getting the No. 1 overall pick, the New York Knicks, indeed had received it. Well, now the Pelicans don’t have to worry whether or not the Knicks will offer Zion; they get him with their own selection. Simply put, the South Carolina native is the best option not only from a front office standpoint, but also from an ownership standpoint. He put up 22.6 points, 8.9 rebounds, 2.1 assists, 2.1 steals and 1.8 blocks per game while shooting an insane 68 percent from the field. It kind of goes without saying, but no one in the last 25 years of college basketball has achieved those benchmarks. His 40.8 PER doesn’t just set the record for highest mark of the last decade; it shatters it. Then, throw into the mix that Williamson is improving as a shooter and ended up hitting 34 percent from 3. Oh, and he’s a legitimate potential NBA Defensive Player of the Year threat at some point.

In my opinion, this is the best on-court prospect to enter the NBA since their current superstar Anthony Davis entered the league from Kentucky in 2012. Off the court, Williamson is the most ready-made marketing tool to enter the league since LeBron James. And yes, that stuff matters in a market like New Orleans, who ranked 25th in average home attendance this past season. Bidding for his shoe deal is expected to be near-record setting for a rookie. Immediately, Williamson will be among the top-selling jerseys in his first year. He is a home run on all levels for the Pelicans.

The question of who they take at No. 1 is now answered. Now, comes a different one: does this turn of events convince Davis to stick around? Newly appointed head of basketball operations David Griffin would like to try and convince Davis to stay if possible, sources tell The Athletic. Our NBA Insider, Shams Charania, reported shortly after Tuesday’s results that Davis’ demands have not changed.

A front-court featuring Williamson and Davis would be absolutely devastating on both ends of the floor, complementing each others’ skills to a ‘T.’ Reportedly, Davis was set on departing no matter what happened on lottery night. My bet is that’s still the case. But regardless, this is a night worth celebration for Pelicans’ fans. They have their next building block, and a point guard to help him out in Jrue Holiday.

2. Memphis Grizzlies — Ja Morant

6-3 lead guard, sophomore, Murray State

With the Grizzlies moving into a new era after drafting Jaren Jackson last year and trading Marc Gasol at the deadline, it would seem that Mike Conley’s departure from the only organization that he’s known throughout his career is imminent this summer. That means the Grizz will need a new point guard. Delon Wright had a solid finish to the season, but is more of a secondary playmaker than the guy you want running the entire show.

Morant is the perfect player to do that. Similarly to the man I’d expect to depart, the Murray State guard is a high-level prospect worthy of being taken in the top-five. He’s an elite player off of a live dribble, due largely to his tight handle, terrific of change of pace, and ability to change direction without slowing down. It’s my opinion that Morant will enter the NBA immediately as one of the top 10 passers in the league. His vision is sublime, and his ability to pass one-handed directly off of the dribble allows him to make a pass immediately upon identifying it. As a scorer, Morant’s skinny frame gives some evaluators pause as a finisher. His jump shot also needs some work, as he’s not the most adept pull-up shooter yet. If a defender goes under a screen and he has time to set his feet, Morant has the ability to knock down a 3. But he’s not as dynamic getting into his shot at full speed yet, which is a critical piece of being a lead guard in today’s NBA.

It’s easy to salivate over Morant and Jackson pick-and-rolls, given the former’s feel with the ball-screen and the latter’s threat as both a shooter and as a diver toward the basket. The Grizzlies would do well this summer to try and get further shooting acumen to help spread the floor for Morant, but those two will be terrific building blocks to help the Grizzlies rebuild on the fly.

3. New York Knicks  — R.J. Barrett

6-7 wing, freshman, Duke

The Knicks need help all over the floor, but one position does stick out like a sore thumb. They could use a wing that can create his own shot. Barrett would not only represent a fit there, but he’d represent the highest upside player on the board, which is where the Knicks need to look. He’s the first high-major player to average 22 points, seven rebounds and four assists — and he did it as an 18-year-old freshman who re-classified into the 2018 recruiting class. There are some concerns here in regard to sharing the load. At times, Barrett played selfishly this season. It would help him to change his mentality just slightly. The Knicks would want him to still be the confident player he is; they just also want him to make the confident passing reads that he made more of throughout the latter quarter of the season. Additionally, Barrett needs to work slightly on his jump shot, although I believe he’s a better shooter than what the numbers indicate largely due to shot selection. His jumper has taken tremendous strides over the last 18 months. His unflappable mentality and personality would also fit exceedingly well in New York.

The Knicks obviously also have a remarkable amount of flexibility this summer, with executives around the NBA believing they will be significant players for both Kevin Durant and Kyrie Irving. If that was to occur, and the Knicks were able to acquire both stars, could this pick become a trade chip? Could the Pelicans look to recreate the magic that Duke did this season by pairing Barrett with Williamson again. The two are very close and would likely be ecstatic with such an arrangement, but it would also require Griffin to be more interested in a Barrett-led package featuring Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Dennis Smith Jr., and Frank Ntilikina than a potential Lakers package including the No. 4 pick (more on that in a second), or a Celtics package including Jayson Tatum.

Regardless, Barrett is the best pick here for New York.

4. Los Angeles Lakers — Jarrett Culver

6-6 wing, sophomore, Texas Tech

What an incredible stroke of luck for the Lakers, who now get yet another additional asset to go out and either help LeBron James with, or to potentially acquire a star with. My bet is that they would rather use this pick as part of a trade to acquire that star. Think Anthony Davis, Bradley Beal, guys like that. Beal particularly stands out if the Pelicans end up getting a better offer for Davis than the No. 4 pick, Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball, and Kyle Kuzma (that sticks out as a very legitimate offer). But if they end up keeping the pick, they’ll have to make a call on whether or not they think any of these players can help their team sooner rather than later.

In my opinion, Culver is that guy. The team has really struggled at the 2-guard spot over the last two years. One of the breakout stars of the college basketball season, the Texas Tech wing has developed into a high-level shot creator who also plays well within a team construct. He’s a terrific ball-handler and playmaker, with the ability to get to his pull-up jumper with ease. He’s also improved dramatically as a jump shooter, going from a left-eye dominant sling shooter to a shooter who brings the ball up from the middle of his body and can knock down shots. He still needs to iron out a few things at the top of the jumper, including a small hitch. Overall though, it’s easy to imagine him as the 2-guard, secondary ball-handler, given his size at 6-foot-6 and creativity. Defensively, he still has some room to grow, but he has good feel on that end from playing in Texas Tech’s defense-first scheme. Particularly, his hands are disruptive and he gets a lot of steals when offensive players bring the ball low or when he gets out into passing lanes. The fit here is too strong to pass up, but I will note that there continues to be some ambivalence to Culver among NBA executives, who question his athleticism and ability to become a true difference maker.

This pick could also be an interesting, tell-tale sign into how much power James has within the walls of the Staples Center. Point guard Darius Garland would be an intriguing fit next to Ball. His shot-making as a pull-up shooter would really complement all of the winning plays Ball makes on both ends of the floor. Additionally, Ball could help cover over some of Garland’s mistakes. It also doesn’t hurt that Garland is represented by Klutch Sports, James’ own agency. How this aspect of the proceedings play out if the Lakers keep the pick will be fascinating.

5. Cleveland Cavaliers — De’Andre Hunter

6-8 forward, redshirt sophomore, Virginia

The Cavaliers had the worst defense in the NBA this season. They need as much help as they can get on that side of the floor. Hunter is a perfect player to draft to make up for those mistakes. He’s a monster defender who can legitimately guard four positions. He’s a lockdown on-ball guy, and knows exactly where to be and how to use his length (with a 7-2 wingspan) in help situations.

But the offensive upside is equally as interesting, given his continued strides as a shooter. He hit a high percentage from 3, but his shot is a bit slow developing and can be contested easier than you would like. With the ball, he’s a bit stiff, and may end up becoming more of a secondary starter than a primary playmaker. I’d think he’s probably more of a De’Marre Carroll type than a Kawhi Leonard, at the end of the day. But in this draft, that’s well worth it for the Cavs at No. 5 to get a plug-and-play type piece who can help them immediately and provide value on both ends of the floor — while also possessing some upside beyond what is already there due to his length and developing offensive profile.

6. Phoenix Suns —  Darius Garland

6-2 lead guard, freshman, Vanderbilt

Well, uh, the Phoenix Suns drop all the way from No. 3 to No. 6, but they still have an opportunity to get their point guard of the future and fill a significant need. Garland has a chance to be that guy. He’s an elite level shooter as a guard, with range out to about 30 feet, putting pressure on the defense essentially as soon as he crosses half-court. He’s also terrific in ball-screens, knowing exactly how to snake around defenders. The critical swing skill for Garland long-term will be his ability to see the floor and make plays for others. Having grown up playing more off-guard than lead, Garland isn’t necessarily the most adept as a facilitator.

Garland’s ability to really shoot it, while being something of a lesser distributor, would be a fascinating mesh of skills next to Devin Booker, who has really developed as a playmaker for others over the last three years. That could become a really modern, terrific offensive backcourt who gives the team all sorts of space to operate with Deandre Ayton inside, or in pick-and-rolls. The concerns would be on the other end. Defensively, Garland is not particularly useful at this stage. He dies on the vine in ball-screen defense, something that would just add to Phoenix’s woes on that end of the floor.

Additionally, it’ll be interested to see if this pick becomes something of a trade chip for a veteran player, as general manager James Jones has made statements about wanting to fill out the young roster with more veterans.

7. Chicago Bulls — Coby White

6-5 lead guard, freshman, North Carolina

The Bulls need an answer at the point guard position. Kris Dunn is definitely a useful piece for an NBA team due to his defensive ability, but it seems unlikely that he can carry the load offensively at the most important position on that end of the floor.

White has potential to grow into that player. He’s lightning quick at 6-foot-5, with the ability to play uptempo and get into transition. He’s also a high-level pull-up shooter, which puts pressure on the defense and opens up lanes for his teammates. The reason, though, he’s not quite what Morant is as a prospect at this stage is the natural feel for making plays for his teammates. He’s still working on that aspect of his game in half-court settings. If that comes along as he continues learning how to play with good players around him — something he didn’t really do much of at the high school level — White could be really strong starting point guard. Even if he doesn’t, I’d expect him to get buckets for a long time at this level. There would also be the added benefit of the way Dunn and White complement each other as options, in addition to both being in the bigger, longer lead guard department, which would help the team not have to change its defensive scheme when one leaves the floor.

8. Atlanta Hawks — Cam Reddish

6-8 forward, freshman, Duke

This season didn’t exactly go to plan for Reddish. Despite being an athletic 6-foot-8 forward who can handle the ball and shoot from distance, he shot 35.6 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from 3. Traditionally, sub-40 percent from 2-point range is a major red flag for guards and their long-term success as a scorer inside. I’m honestly not sure that I can remember a player of Reddish’s height struggling this mightily inside. Of course, part of it is contextual. When he drove, teams collapsed in on him because there was little threat otherwise from the surrounding Tre Jones, Barrett, Williamson, and one of Javin DeLaurier, Jack White, or Marques Bolden. In the NBA, he’s going to get better driving lanes, and fewer bodies collapsing in on him. But he also needs to improve, as well. He needs to work on tightening up his handle, which can be ripped a bit too easily at times. His lower body mechanics on his jump shot also could stand to tighten up, as he sometimes loads off-balance into shots.

At the end of the day, though, NBA teams should probably bet on his talent. It’s rare for players to have this type of ball skill at his size. Reddish would represent an upside play for the Hawks, who are believed to be fans of Reddish by executives around the league. Them falling all the way to No. 8 and potentially being able to acquire him would be a huge victory for the team.

9. Washington Wizards— Nassir Little

6-7 wing, freshman, North Carolina

The Wizards bizarrely made a decision to trade away Otto Porter Jr. at the trade deadline for the opportunity to pay Bobby Portis. Additionally, they dealt away Kelly Oubre for Trevor Ariza, who is a free agent this summer. That means they have a massive hole in their front court of the future, in addition to a massive hole in their front office after firing Ernie Grunfeld earlier this summer.

Little is an extremely polarizing player for NBA teams (there are a lot of those guys this year). Some teams really buy into his mix of athleticism, length and motor. He played a little bit heavy this season at North Carolina, and has slimmed down during the pre-draft process already. They believe there is real upside there to get a starter who can defend modern wings and forward. Additionally, teams can look back through his past and see legitimate shooting upside off the dribble. However, there’s downside here. His feel for the game has real holes. He struggled to adjust to playing with North Carolina’s defensive scheme this year. Offensively, he needs to keep ironing out his shooting efficiency.

Let’s take a wild stab here, given that the Wizards still don’t have a lead front office executive, and say that recent reporting from The Athletic’s Fred Katz and Shams Charania is right, and Oklahoma City Thunder vice president of basketball operations Troy Weaver is very much in the mix for the Wizards’ top job. That Oklahoma City front office values athleticism, length, and character in players above all else. Obviously, Little ticks all of those boxes.

10. Atlanta Hawks —Jaxson Hayes

6-11 center, freshman, Texas

A 6-foot-11 center with a 7-foot-4 wingspan, many evaluators around the NBA believe that Hayes has potential to be the type of low-usage, rim-running, shot-blocking center that every NBA team is looking for right now. He also possesses the footwork and lateral mobility to potentially defend a bit out on the perimeter, and some short-roll ball-handling ability. Basically, Hayes is like a combination of a Steven Adams and Clint Capela starter kit, both of whom have morphed into above-average starting NBA centers who can create an impact on both ends. The Hawks are an intelligently run organization led by general manager Travis Schlenk, whose background is with the Golden State title teams. Those teams tended to value low-usage, rim-protecting centers. It’s easy to see Schlenk valuing Hayes as one of those types with his second first-round pick, the one acquired in the deal for Trae Young.

11. Minnesota Timberwolves — Sekou Doumbouya

6-9 forward, 18 years old, Limoges (France)

Out of the international class, the multi-dimensional 6-foot-9 18-year-old originally from Guinea certainly looks to hold the most long-term value. Doumbouya had a tough start to the season, struggling to adjust to high-level pro basketball in France in the first three months of his season. He posted an extremely poor 0.57 assist to turnover ratio, while hitting just 25 percent in limited attempts from 3. Defensively, he was fouling more than six times per 40 minutes. Basically, he looked like a 17-year-old playing professional basketball for the first time. But then, in a trio of games around Christmas, it looked like the French international had turned a corner, scoring 12 points in each and looking much more comfortable. Unfortunately, Doumbouya suffered a thumb injury in a league game against Boulazac and required surgery to repair a ligament and missed just over a month of action. And after a few games of action to get himself back into game shape, Doumbouya has been much better over the last month and a half. In his last eight games, Doumbouya has seen his points per minute increase, his 3-point shooting volume and efficiency has increased, and generally he just looks much more comfortable with the speed of the game.

Overall, I’m encouraged that Doumbouya has figured things out quickly, but still question how ready for the NBA he is simply due to his inexperience at high levels to this stage. There’s a real chance that he might need an extra year of seasoning, or else the team that picks him may be wasting one or two valuable seasons of his entry-level contract. Much like someone like Al-Farouq Aminu, the team that gets the best value out of Doumbouya may not necessarily be the team that selects him unless they can delay his process for coming over. But NBA teams generally are relatively high on Doumbouya and consider him a likely lottery pick.

12. Charlotte Hornets — Rui Hachimura

6-8 forward, junior, Gonzaga

NBA teams are high on Hachimura’s tools. He’s 6-8 with a 7-foot-2 wingspan at 240 pounds, but also maintains high-level athleticism. His first step is terrific for a man his size, and it allows him to get to the basket. As a shooter, there’s a hitch at the top of his release to fix, but his touch is pretty good and at least portends some potential — but he needs to get more confidence from beyond the arc. Defensively, he possesses potential due to his strength and length, although sometimes his feet get a bit stuck in the mud at times and his feel on that end isn’t particularly strong after his prep years of being the primary offensive option with little defensive accountability until he reached Gonzaga. This year, things started to click a bit more on that end, but it remains an open question as to whether or not Hachimura will defend.

For Charlotte, this represents something of a swing on a player with legitimate upside that can score the basketball. They desperately need to take some swings like this, given the current state of the roster and the potential for Kemba Walker to depart this offseason. It’s also a strong positional fit, and it fits the Hornets’ mold of taking high-profile college players who have experienced exceptional success at that level (you can go back to Kemba Walker, Frank Kaminsky, Miles Bridges, Malik Monk, Cody Zeller, and more). Hachimura was a first-team All-American this season.

13. Miami Heat — PJ Washington

6-7 forward/center, sophomore, Kentucky

For Miami, they’re about as good as any team in the league at getting guys into optimal shape and putting guys into position for success. Washington is a player that got into terrific shape last season, and experienced a legitimate jump in his game and the way he enforces his athleticism on the game because of it. He could use a team that helps him to stay in such shape. This isn’t exactly what I’d call a sexy, high-upside pick for an organization in desperate need of such swings, but this part of the draft is not really loaded with those type of players and Washington is a player that would fit on their roster and give them some added size, toughness, and perimeter shooting. His length could also help them in the smaller lineups that they enjoy employing.

14. Boston Celtics (from SAC) — Brandon Clarke

6-8 forward/center, redshirt junior, Gonzaga

I had Clarke at No. 10 on my most recent mock draft. In large part, that was because his fit with the Minnesota Timberwolves is my favorite potential idea in the entire draft (not-Zion division). He complements Karl-Anthony Towns perfectly. He’s a monster coming over from the weak side as a shot-blocker, something Towns has struggled with in his career. His intelligence coming over in help would be of significant value when a team pulls Towns away from the basket. Clarke can legit play away from the basket at the 4 defensively at the NBA level, in addition to potentially the 5 in smaller lineups. On offense, Towns’ elite level shooting ability would complement Clarke’s current development on that side of the floor.

But when executives reached out to me afterward to chat about where players were placed, the message from most was that they felt Clarke was too highly placed. NBA teams are certainly mixed about his potential. Some executives are with me and believe that he’s a top-10 player (that’s where he’ll feature on my big board). But the overall tenor around the league sees him more as a top-20 guy as opposed to a surefire lottery pick. Thus, I’ve slid him down four spots to the Celtics, another smartly-run organization who could find value in Clarke’s unique skillset, particularly in regard to how it could translate in the playoffs if his offensive game comes along.

15. Detroit Pistons — Romeo Langford

6-6 wing, freshman, Indiana

This is a bit of a drop for Langford, but NBA teams who have spoken with The Athletic continue to note that Langford is far from a surefire lottery pick after his season at Indiana. Largely, the questions about his explosiveness athletically and his jump shot continue to cause concern around the league. Some teams do buy the excuse that his thumb injury could have been part of the cause of his disastrous 27.2 mark from distance this season, but mostly teams believe his mechanics will need a full overhaul to get him anywhere near a high-level jump shooter. Throw in on top of it that Langford’s ability to gain separation has also come into question, and teams look at him as a potential role player who can’t shoot right now — something of a non-starter around the league. Still, there is potential that Langford can learn to shoot. He has good touch, and he might be the best wing in this class at finishing around the basket. But after he recovers from thumb surgery, he’s going to need to work really hard to prove himself.

The Pistons need a ton of help on the wing, and could use a bucket-getter like Langford even if the shooting questions don’t make this a perfect fit, given that they shot under 35 percent from 3, which was 23rd in the NBA.

16. Orlando Magic — Tyler Herro

6-5 off-guard, freshman, Kentucky

So, this would be a bit of a departure for the Magic. Lead executives Jeff Weltman and John Hammond tend to value elite physical traits. Players with long wingspan, high-level athleticism, and everything that comes with it. But after a season where they got very little out of a rookie class that featured those traits, I wonder if they maybe look to zag this time and fill the roster’s biggest need, given that Terrance Ross is a free agent this summer: shooting and floor-spacing.

Herro is a tremendous shooter who can run off of screens at full speed, stop on a dime, and knock down shots. He’s also got more game off of the bounce than he gets credit for, with the ability to attack closeouts and get into the midrange for pull-ups. And defensively, he’s also tougher than he looks, with the ability to at least bother bigger players due to his activity level. My bet is that Steve Clifford would be a big fan of his swagger and mentality.

17. Brooklyn Nets — Goga Bitadze

6-11 center, 19 years old, Budocnost (Montenegro)

The Nets need more help at the center spot, even though they seem to have their guy for the future in Jarrett Allen. In their playoff series, the 76ers bullied them around a bit. And with a bevy of interesting, young backcourt options in D’Angelo Russell, Spencer Dinwiddie, Joe Harris and Caris LeVert, the team looks to have a solid backcourt going forward. Here, the team selects Bitadze, a 6-foot-11 center of Georgia (the country, not the state) who has developed into one of the more productive big men in all of Europe as just a teenager. He’s averaging 12.1 points and 6.4 rebounds in Euroleague competition, placing him in the top-20 in scoring and top-five in rebounding. That pales in comparison to his shot-blocking numbers,  though, where Bitadze leads the competition with 2.3 blocks per game. That’s nearly double the amount of third-place Jeremy Evans at 1.2. Throw in that he can also occasionally step out and make a 3-pointer, and he’s a remarkably interesting prospect.

I’ll have more on Bitadze’s ascent soon, but he’s considered around the league now to be a likely top-20 pick even despite playing the most talent-heavy position in the league.

18. Indiana Pacers — Kevin Porter Jr.

6-6 wing, freshman, USC

Porter is one of the toughest prospects to peg around the NBA right now. Ask NBA teams to peg his draft range, and they’ll give you an answer anywhere from late lottery all the way down to the early second round. Basically, teams need to meet with Porter, and start to wrap their head around some of the bizarre situations that surrounded him at USC this season — including an upper leg injury that held him out for nearly two months, and a suspension during an Oregon road trip. There are things that Porter and, to an extent, his agency (Roc Nation) will need to have a positive answer for. At the end of the day, though, I’m going to bet on someone taking a shot on his talents in the first round. Porter’s creativity is off the charts good when he has ball in hand. He can keep a live dribble, get a defender on skates, and get to his step-back pull-up at will. Then, when he does get a defender off-balance and drive to the hoop in a straight line, he can finish above the rim. The Pacers have a lot of uncertainty with free agency this summer, but one thing is clear: the team needs more scoring options, even once Victor Oladipo returns at the start of next season. Taking a shot on Porter, given their terrific team chemistry, seems like the kind of move that could really pay off down the road.

19. San Antonio Spurs — Nickeil Alexander-Walker

6-5 combo guard, sophomore, Virginia Tech

The Spurs are in the process of rebuilding their backcourt. Derrick White has shown himself to be a terrific option as a starter. Dejounte Murray’s defensive ability is already well established, having made the NBA’s All-Defense team last year prior to missing this season. Lonnie Walker spent the healthy portion of his season developing with the Austin Spurs, and largely availed himself well. That trio is a terrific building block to work from. But if there’s one question there, it’s consistency shooting the basketball. White hit just 34 percent from 3, and Murray is largely a non-shooter. Alexander-Walker has the type of high-IQ mindset that the Spurs look for in players, and pairs it with terrific shooting acumen. He’s creative off the bounce and in ball-screen situations, and hit 38.3 percent from 3 in his two years at Virginia Tech. He’ll likely go somewhere in the first round, with his range currently looking to be somewhere in the 15 to 25 vicinity.

20. Boston Celtics (from LAC) — Keldon Johnson

6-6 wing, freshman, Kentucky

Johnson is another player who drops a bit on this mock draft in comparison to last time. NBA evaluators wonder about the skill/athleticism combination right now. He’s not an elite athlete. His full-season 38 percent mark from 3 was good, but it dropped substantially down to 32.7 in tougher SEC play this season. His handle is strong, but largely resigned to only a straight line. Defensively, he has a great mindset, but can occasionally struggle to stay in front of guys that are quicker. Despite being a good passer at youth levels, that part of his game didn’t really show up within Kentucky’s offense. Still, Johnson is a young, attack-oriented wing with potential to play on both ends of the floor if he can keep working on his footwork. And at the next level, if the shooting translates at the full season number, there should be more space for him to attack in a straight line off of heavy closeouts. Plus, he has a great frame at 211 pounds already, and would be able to put up with the physicality of the NBA. I’m still relatively a fan of Johnson, but he’s definitely more of a role player prospect than a potential star right now. Why Boston? Well, they tend to buy into guys that are tough and have strong-willed outlooks. That propensity for working hard sometimes leads to better improvement down the road. Johnson certainly has the tools to make that leap.

21. Oklahoma City Thunder — Bol Bol

7-2 center, freshman, Oregon

The Thunder are in a weird place. With Russell Westbrook and Paul George, the team has a window to try and compete now. But it’s clear that they’re still a way’s off of being able to do that. They are in desperate need of shooting and the ability to space the basket for Westbrook drives, something that eventually went on to crater their offense this season. If there is one thing they need to fix this season, it’s getting more shooters. For that reason, Bol makes a lot of sense. Despite being 7-foot-2 with a 7-7 wingspan, he’s also one of the best shooters in this entire class from distance. They also need a second option at center behind Steven Adams, and Bol’s upside could eventually allow the team to move on from Adams and potentially open up some roster flexibility to improve. Sam Presti is never above taking risks. Bol would be a substantial one, but one that is worth it for them. Unsurprisingly, he has the widest potential draft ranges out of anyone. Anywhere from the end of the lottery to the second round, depending on how pre-draft interviews and medical checks go.

22. Boston Celtics — Carsen Edwards

6-0 combo guard, junior, Purdue

Again, the Celtics tend to like guys with attack-oriented mindsets. Edwards fits that bill to a ‘T,’ and also could help fill some positional holes that might be created this offseason. With Kyrie Irving and Terry Rozier entering free agency, it might be a good idea for the team to bolster its depth at the lead guard spot. While I see Edwards as more of a scoring guard than a pure point, he fits well in Boston’s offense. The team runs a lot of dribble hand-off action, where guards get to sprint toward the ball and try to gain separation from defenders that way. Edwards is one of the better players I’ve seen at shooting off of a dead sprint, as he has an elite ability to stop his momentum, rise, and fire while still maintaining his balance. His lack of vision for making plays for his teammates at 6-foot tall is ultimately what holds him back a bit and likely resigns him to being more of a high-level bench scorer. But he has a real chance to be high-level as such a player in the NBA.

23. Utah Jazz — Cameron Johnson

6-8 wing/forward, redshirt senior, North Carolina

If there is one thing the Jazz’ series against Houston proved, it’s that their offense needs a boost. Particularly, I’d look at two real needs. First, the team could use a lead guard who is a real scoring threat next to Donovan Mitchell. Second, it badly needs more players who are threats to knock down shots and space the floor around Mitchell so that teams can’t just blindly collapse down on his drives. Johnson represents the latter. His shooting stroke is about as perfect as you’ll find, He hit about 46 percent of the six 3s per game that he attempted on his way to averaging nearly 16 points per contest. Those are terrific numbers for any player, let along one who stands 6-foot-8. The reason he’s not higher on boards despite an elite skill that is tailor-made for the modern NBA is that the rest of his game somewhat lacks. Defensively, there are questions as to whether or not he’s strong enough to deal with some of the similarly-sized players he’ll be forced to guard (or quick enough to defend smaller guys). As an athlete, he’s not really a guy you want driving all the way to the basket, although he can use his handle to get to a two-dribble pull-up when attacking closeouts. This one is all about fit, though, and shooting is exactly what the Jazz need.

24. Philadelphia 76ers — Ty Jerome

6-5 combo guard, junior, Virginia

The 76ers are another team that desperately needs to add shooting this offseason. Enter Jerome, who fits in multiple ways in this situation. Jerome hit 39.9 percent of his 3s this season, a ridiculous number given how many of his shots come off the dribble as Virginia’s best late-shot clock option. But Jerome also excels shooting off-the-catch, with terrific understanding of how to come off of screens in order to get separation from his defender. For the 76ers, he represents everything they should want in a prospect. He has experience guarding point guards at 6-foot-5, he can play some lead guard in the half-court next to Ben Simmons, and he can run all day in off-ball action when they decide to push him off-ball to get Simmons on the ball. It’s a perfect marriage of skill and need. Even though Jerome isn’t quite as fast as Landry Shamet at running off of screens, he could be an opportunity for the team to pick up a lot of what it dealt away when it moved the former Wichita State star in the Tobias Harris deal. I’m a big fan of this potential landing spot, even if Jerome is seen more by NBA executives as a late first, early second round type player.

25. Portland Trail Blazers — KZ Okpala

6-9 forward, sophomore, Stanford

Trail Blazers’ general manager Neil Olshey is not a big believer that you can get immediate help in the draft that can provide a boost to a contending team. I don’t necessarily agree with such a thought process — over the last few years, we’ve seen plenty of rookies make an impact as a role player in the playoffs — but it’s certainly the way he thinks about things. Okpala is the kind of high-upside player the Blazers tend to value, though. Best of all, he fits a position of need as a combo forward who can create off the dribble, knock down shots, and potentially even become useful defensively one day. The Stanford product started out the season as a potential lottery pick, dominating in the first two months of the season and knocking down 45 percent of his 3s. The shooting was always a bit unsustainable, but it ended up being that his overall offensive game ended up tanking a bit later in the season, too. From February 7 onward, Okpala averaged just 14 points a night while shooting under 40 percent from the field and 27 percent from 3. While that didn’t leave a great taste in evaluators’ mouths, I still think Okpala did enough to show that he’s a project worth taking on. Any time you can get a 6-9 forward with a 7-2 wingspan, legitimate body control, the ability to knock down shots, and then create plays off the dribble, I think you have to take that guy in the first round. If he can interview well and perform strongly in the pre-draft process, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him unavailable at No. 25. But right now, most evaluators see him as a late first round flyer to take.

26. Cleveland Cavaliers (from HOU) —Nic Claxton

6-11 forward/center, sophomore, Georgia

Mostly, this is me betting on a player having a huge pre-draft process and playing himself out of testing the waters. Right now, I’d say consensus is more that Claxton is an interesting early second round flier — with executives acknowledging that he has potential to rise as they get a chance to see him up close in workouts. I’m guessing that, at the end of the day, Claxton’s combination of skills is too fascinating from a modern NBA perspective to pass up at the end of the first round. He’s 6-10, but moves like a player much smaller than that in the way that he can guard away from the basket. As an interior rim protector, his 2.5 blocks per game led the SEC. He’s a good rebounder on both ends of the floor. Offensively, he has more skills with ball in hand than you’d think, as first-year Georgia coach Tom Crean occasionally let him bring the ball up the court and initiate sets. Really, the big question here is the jump shot. The South Carolina native has showcased some ability to step away and take shots, but he’s only made them at a 30.2 percent clip over 86 shots in his two years at Georgia. If he goes into workouts and shoots the lights out for a couple of teams, my bet is that he ends up going in Round One. Here, I’ve got him going to Cleveland, who can afford to take a developmental chance on a high-upside player, given that they’re at an early stage in their rebuild.

27. Brooklyn Nets (from DEN) — Grant Williams

6-6 forward, junior, Tennessee

Look, I’m personally going to have Williams much higher than this on my board. He’ll be a top-20 guy for me if he stays in the draft — something he’s still unsure he will do. On some level, I think NBA evaluators are overlooking Williams’ skill fit in the NBA because of his role at Tennessee and his unique body type. With the way the NBA is going, getting a guy who is 6-foot-6 with long arms and the ability to play smart help defense as well as avoid defensive mismatches by guarding bigger than his height is super valuable. And offensively, Williams is an improving shooter with good touch from within 15 feet, although one that lacks confidence shooting it from distance. But what intrigues me most is the ability to use Williams as a screen setter, then popping him or short-rolling him into the 17-foot range and allowing him to make plays with his terrific vision when the defense collapses. If the shot comes along, he’s a Swiss-Army knife that plugs a ton of holes and complements star players perfectly. The Nets could use another guy in their front court with this type of versatility. Right now though, NBA teams see Williams as more of a late first, early second round pick because they’re unsure if his athleticism will translate after he was able to overpower defenders at the college level, mostly posting up. I’d urge evaluators to look at the way the skills he showed on the block should translate to other parts of his game, given that his IQ is off the charts.

28. Golden State Warriors —Talen Horton-Tucker

6-4 … “player,” freshman, Iowa State

I’m not entirely sure how to exactly classify Horton-Tucker. He’s creative like a guard, but weighs over 230 pounds and has a 7-foot-1 wingspan which intrigues evaluators about potentially having him guard up the lineup while maintaining ball-handling on the floor. I’m a bit off of the consensus with Horton-Tucker, though. I have him in the 40s on my board, largely because of the fact that he struggled significantly on defense this year, and didn’t really knock down open shots at a high clip. At the same token, though, I acknowledge that NBA teams see him as a player likely to be selected in the 20s. For him to reach that place for me, he’d need to show that he can start knocking down shots, or that there is some sort of potential for frame improvement down the road. But the Warriors know how to use these multi-positional types across the board, and Horton-Tucker could develop very well under their tutelage.

29. San Antonio Spurs (from TOR) — Bruno Fernando

6-10 center, sophomore, Maryland

The Spurs are one of the few teams in the NBA that utilizes the center position to a significant extent. But behind LaMarcus Aldridge and Jakob Poeltl, the team doesn’t have a ton of depth. Fernando would be a good fit here. Few players took as big of a leap from Year One to Year Two as Fernando. He has ball skills to be able to run dribble hand-offs and short rolls offensively, can make the right reads as a passer, and has the potential to add a mid-range jumper. Defensively, he’s a big body with length inside, but needs to add more instinctual awareness as a weak-side help defender. Hopefully, there’s still time for him to learn those skills. He’s considered a likely first round pick right now by executives, but my bet is that come closer to draft time he starts to fall as few teams in this area of the draft should be drafting big over wing help.

30. Milwaukee Bucks —Matisse Thybulle

6-5 wing, senior, Washington

Mostly, the Bucks have a lot of their positions locked up long-term. So they can afford to mostly go with a best player available look here that can help them win games sooner rather than later. For many, that would be Thybulle. Thybulle was one of the best defenders in college basketball this season, posting hitherto unseen combined block/steal rates. He is skipping the combine, as rumors have swirled in front offices that he has been promised by a team. Milwaukee would be a fit there, although I cannot confirm who has promised the Washington wing. If he can shoot at all, he’s a useful NBA player.

31. Brooklyn Nets (from NYK) — Luguentz Dort

6-4 off-guard, freshman, Arizona State

Dort is considered by most executives to be in this range, with the potential to rise up into becoming a solid first rounder with a strong process. Particularly, teams will be looking for growth in his jump shot, as it has a weird spin with slightly differing release points. Still, Dort is an elite level on-ball defender, which is something the Brooklyn backcourt could use.

32. Phoenix Suns — Dylan Windler

6-7 wing, senior, Belmont

There are a lot of players that make sense from this point onward, especially in a situation as well-set for success as the Warriors. So why Windler here? The wing out of Belmont is an elite level shooter for his size, something that the Suns could actually use more of. He’s also a smart defender who moves his feet reasonably well for his size, and knows where to be on the defensive end. He rebounds well for his position, and creates odd-man breaks with his instincts for getting into passing lanes. On offense, Windler always makes the right read and pass, something that didn’t always lead to him having massive nights in college (even though he averaged 21 points and 11 rebounds while going 54.0/42.9/84.1), but it does bode well for his transition into becoming a role player. The skill set just works perfectly at this level. As long as he can adjust to the speed of the game, he should be a useful player in the NBA.

33. Philadelphia 76ers (from CLE) — Zach Norvell Jr.

6-5 off-guard, redshirt sophomore, Gonzaga

More shooters for the 76ers. In this case, Norvell would add the microwave scoring element currently missing from the 76ers’ bench. He has NBA range already, and will knock down open shots when they’re given to him. He’s also improved a bit on defense to where he’s able to hold up in coverage, as opposed to last year where he struggled there. This smooth lefty could help space the floor for Simmons and Joel Embiid, as well as potentially Jimmy Butler if he sticks around this offseason. Of note: I had Norvell in my 2020 mock draft, but the working assumption among NBA teams — without anything being finalized on his end — seems to be that Norvell ends up in 2019.

34. Philadelphia 76ers (from CHI) — Daniel Gafford

6-11 center, sophomore, Arkansas

With Boban Marjanovic entering free agency this offseason, the 76ers have a significant need for a backup center (sorry, I’m not really a Jonah Bolden believer). Gafford would give the 76ers a rim-running, shot-swatting big man at 6-foot-11 who could provide a nice change of pace to Embiid when he enters the game. He’d also be a nice partner in transition for Simmons. There’s a chance he ends up in the first round — and he’ll be a top-30 prospect for me — but we’ve seen too often over the last few years how big men have tended to fall on draft night. There are only so many spots.

35. Atlanta Hawks — Eric Paschall

6-7 forward, senior, Villanova

Paschall is a strong, physical player with the ability to shoot it from distance and be something of a mismatch problem. I’ll have him as a first round grade, and his skill set fits really well with what Atlanta is building as a 6-7, 250 combo forward. They don’t necessarily have a ton of guys like that, so he’d complement what they already have in a nice way.

36. Charlotte Hornets (from WAS) — Jalen McDaniels

6-10 forward, sophomore, San Diego State

McDaniels would be an interesting change of pace guy for the Hornets. He plays super hard, has great footwork in the post, and is something of a midrange killer. The key for his efficiency long-term will be stretching his range out to the 3-point line, something he hasn’t quite mastered yet. Defensively, McDaniels has potential as a guy who can switch out onto guards and stick. The Hornets don’t really have anyone like this and could get use out of him.

37. Dallas Mavericks —  Luka Samanic

6-10 forward/center, 19 years old, Olimpia Ljubanja (Croatia)

Samanic is a skilled big man who should likely be stashed for at least one or two years. For the Mavericks, as they try to consolidate cap space, that’s completely fine. In time, Samanic should be able to stretch his shot out to the NBA 3-point line, and make terrific offensive decisions with the ball to keep everyone engaged on offense. I’m not quite this high on him, but some teams believe he will be the first stash option off the board in the second round.

38. Chicago Bulls (from MEM) — Admiral Schofield

6-6 wing/forward, senior, Tennessee

The Bulls need to keep building out a culture of toughness and defense to pair with their skilled offensive players. It’s hard to imagine a better fit for that than Schofield, who would immediately become a Jim Boylen favorite. He’s tough and physical for his size and can guard up the lineup due to a 7-1 wingspan. Offensively, he can step out with NBA 3-point range and hit shots. The big question here is quickness and athleticism. If he can stick with wings, he’ll play in the NBA for a while.

39. New Orleans Pelicans — Shamorie Ponds

6-0 lead guard, junior, St. John’s

Ponds is just pure offense waiting to happen. He’s elite with a live dribble, with counter moves for days depending on how a defender plays him. He’s also improved as a shooter and facilitator over the last year. I think he probably sticks as a backup point guard in the NBA. That’s worth taking in the top-40.

40. Sacramento Kings (from MIN) — Mfiondu Kabengele

6-10 center, redshirt sophomore, Florida State

On a per-minute basis, few players in college basketball were as valuable as Kabengele. He averaged 24.5 points, 11 rebounds and 2.8 blocks per 40 minutes while shooting 50 percent from the field, 37 percent from 3, and 76 percent from the line. Defensively, he fouls a bit too often, but he also has pretty good feet to move on the perimeter. His feel for the game is extremely high, and has the look of a potential small-ball NBA center.

41. Atlanta Hawks (from LAL) — Chuma Okeke

6-8 forward, sophomore, Auburn

NBA teams had Okeke marked down as a potential late first round pick after a terrific season at Auburn where he played high-level defense, knocked down shots, and was the glue for an eventual Final Four team. But his torn ACL in the Sweet 16 threw all of that for a loop. The Hawks here decide to take the plunge, deciding to value the ability to potentially get a long-term two-way forward.

42. Philadelphia 76ers (from SAC) — Deividas Sirvydis

6-8 forward, 18 years old,  Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)

Hey, this might be something of a broken record, but let’s give Philadelphia another shooter, only this time it’s one that they don’t have to bring over immediately and can stash overseas and allow to develop. He’s playing (and starting most games) in Eurocup and Lithuanian first division competition, and hitting 38 percent of his 177 total 3-point attempts. He should use the next year to bulk up. I like him a bit more than Samanic, who I have being selected ahead of him here.

43. Minnesota Timberwolves (from MIA) — Naz Reid

6-10 center, freshman, LSU

Reid is an interesting prospect due to his range as a shooter. Few guys who are true centers can match him from distance. He also, on occasion, showcased some defensive versatility, although for the most part he wasn’t awesome on that end. The Timberwolves recently hired Gersson Rosas out of the Houston front office, and it’s reasonable to believe that he will value shooting from big men given his analytical bent.

44. Atlanta Hawks (from MIN) — Marcos Louzada Silva

6-5 wing, 19 years old, Franca (Brazil)

Going by “Didi,” Louzada Silva is an interesting, athletic wing who can knock down shots at a high level. He was one of the better players on a Nike Hoop Summit World Team in front of a throng of over 100 NBA scouts, meaning teams will be familiar with him and have an up-close look. My bet is that a team would stash him if he decided to enter the draft. A team to watch, per sources (potentially in this spot, given Atlanta’s multitude of picks): Brooklyn. The Nets employ former NBA center and Brazilian national Tiago Splitter as a scout, and teams around the league think they have done a lot of homework into Didi.

45. Detroit Pistons — Louis King

6-9 wing/forward, freshman, Oregon

King had a weird year at Oregon. He was hurt for the first month, then it took him another few weeks to work his way back into game shape. Once he did though, we saw the reasons why he was a five-star talent in high school, as he averaged just about 15 points and five rebounds per game while shooting on a 45/43/80 line. Having said that though, King hasn’t displayed much interest in defense, and doesn’t really affect the game if he’s not scoring. To me, he’s an interesting flyer to take, but not much else. Teams do have a wide range on him at this stage.

46. Orlando Magic (from BKN) — Jaylen Hoard

6-9 forward, freshman, Wake Forest

Hoard is a fascinating athlete, with great quickness and solid leaping ability for a player at his size with a plus wingspan. His skill level is still developing, though, as he’s not an elite shooter yet, and his post footwork could use some work. His 0.6 assist-to-turnover ratio also raises questions about his feel for the game. Still, he’s worth taking a flyer on due to the athleticism alone — especially if you can convince him to be a stash pick. Hoard is originally from France, and could potentially help his stock by agreeing to spend a year overseas developing before starting his rookie scale deal. Something for him and NBA teams to ponder. All of those aspects tend to be things that the Magic value in their front office.

47. Sacramento Kings (from ORL) — Ignas Brazdeikis

6-7 forward, freshman, Michigan

Brazdeikis is in a very interesting situation. Even after shooting 39 percent from 3 last season, NBA teams still question his jumper a bit because of his previous rep in high school as an improving shooter, but not a high level one. They also wonder how his athleticism translates on offense, as he’s an advantage scorer who gets by with change of pace. Defensively, he was also a fairly big problem for Michigan. But one some level, Brazdeikis is just a tough dude that no one ever wants to play against. There’s a real chance an NBA organization falls in love with him in the pre-draft process and takes him a bit higher than this. But based on skill level, it’s tough for me to get there right now.

48. Los Angeles Clippers — Miye Oni

6-6 wing, junior, Yale

Oni had a terrible NCAA Tournament game against LSU, but don’t let that overshadow what is a remarkably interesting prospect due to his size, length, shooting ability, and defensive potential. With a 6-11 wingspan, Oni has the frame NBA teams look for, and is a smart kid with high feel for the game. A good organization will take him at some point in this draft, and have a good chance at a steal.

49. San Antonio Spurs —Yovel Zoosman

6-7 wing, 20 years old, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)

Zoosman won MVP of the U20 European Championships last summer for gold medalists Israel, and has followed it up by carving out a role for Maccabi Tel Aviv in Euroleague competition. He’s not a starter, but he’s a consistent shot-maker from distance that can also defend at a fairly high level because of his 7-1 wingspan. It’s hard for me to see the Spurs taking three rookies into camp next year, so I’d bet on them stashing in the second round here.

50. Indiana Pacers —Dedric Lawson

6-8 forward, redshirt junior, Kansas

Lawson was an All-American this season, one of the most productive players in college basketball. The problem is that I’m just not sure what skill of his translates to the NBA. He was something of a low-post/high-post guy in Bill Self’s offense. He’s not a great athlete who gets a ton of separation, doesn’t shoot it, and doesn’t defend at a super high level. NBA teams are unsure if he’ll get drafted at this stage. We’ll see if that ends up being the case, but the Pacers do tend to value collegiate production in their picks.

51. Boston Celtics — DaQuan Jeffries

6-5 wing/forward, senior, Tulsa

One of the best kept secrets in college basketball this year, Jeffries was a significant standout at the Portsmouth Invitational. Multiple league executives mentioned to The Athletic that they thought he was the best prospect in attendance. He’s a high-level athlete who defends hard, and can knock down shots from distance at 230 pounds, meaning you can play him up the lineup a bit. I’d bet on him either getting drafted, or being a priority undrafted free agent for someone.

52. Charlotte Hornets (from OKC) — Jaylen Nowell

6-4 combo guard, sophomore, Washington

Nowell still hasn’t made his final decision as to whether or not he’ll go through with the process, but he’s an interesting prospect if only because of his scoring acumen. He won the Pac-12 player of the year award while averaging 16.2 points per game, shooting a ridiculous 50.2/44.4/77.9 line. NBA teams want to see him pull-up into that 3-point ball with more confidence than he showed this season (he’s a bit more comfortable in the mid-range area than he is from deep), but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him selected if he goes through the process.

53. Utah Jazz — Jordan Poole

6-5 combo guard, sophomore, Michigan

Similar to Nowell, but with less of a track record to go off of. Poole is a skilled scorer who can get buckets in a hurry when he’s hot, but he disappears when he’s off and doesn’t make an impact anywhere else on the floor. I think someone takes a chance on his skill set developing in the G-League over the next year or so. Utah could use more shooting and scoring, so it’s a fit.

54. Philadelphia 76ers — Kyle Guy

6-2 off-guard, junior, Virginia

Look, let’s finish this thing out for Philadelphia by giving them more shooting than they could possibly know what to do with. Guy is maybe the best shooter entering this draft, having hit 42.5 percent from 3 in his collegiate career on nearly 600 attempts. He shoots the heck out of it off of movement, particularly coming off of screens. That’s a directly translatable NBA skill. If he can improve as a ball-handler, and find a way to defend absolutely anybody on the floor at this level. Maybe he’s Jaycee Carroll, the star who has made millions over in Europe playing for Real Madrid for the last eight years. But maybe he can stick in today’s shooting-conscious NBA. Teams around the league are certainly more interested in him than I anticipated them being, and want to see him at the combine against high-level athletes.

55. New York Knicks (from HOU) — Darius Bazley

6-9 wing/forward, sit-out, New Balance

Bazley accepted an internship with New Balance this year instead of playing at Syracuse. Evaluators wanted to get their eyes on him, as he’s an intriguing athlete with size and legit ball skills. Still, Bazley is certainly a lottery ticket, and he’ll need to prove himself in workouts. He wasn’t a surefire one-and-done prospect before making this decision. Now, teams will want to see if the year was put to good use while training and working on his skills.

56. Los Angeles Clippers (from POR) — Justin Wright-Foreman

6-1 lead guard, senior, Hofstra

Wright-Foreman is an electric scorer. He gets to his spots all over the place due to his terrific handle, and can pull-up from anywhere within 25 feet — and make shots efficiently. There are defensive concerns, as coaches in the CAA seemed to think he wasn’t particularly interested on that side of the floor. He’s also definitely just a pure scorer versus someone you can count on to facilitate right now. But Wright-Foreman is the exception as a scorer in that he has a legit chance to stick. There is also a thought around the league that the Clippers would have some interest in Brian Bowen.

57. New Orleans Pelicans (from DEN) — Jontay Porter

6-11 center, 19 years old, Missouri

Porter had a tough year. He tore his ACL prior to the season and missed all of Missouri’s games, then re-tore it while training. Teams are going to want to get a great look at his knees, especially given his body type and his brother Michael’s injury issues over the last two years. But when he’s on the floor, Porter is a smart big man who knock down shots at a high level from deep and make plays for others passing the ball. He’s a perfect modern offensive big man. His defensive mobility problems already showed up prior to these injuries, though.

Placing him on a board like this is difficult right now. I got more feedback on Porter than anyone else on my previous mock draft other than the aforementioned Clarke, with industry sources believing he was too highly placed in the top-45 due to the injury concerns. There’s a real chance he goes undrafted. Still, I believe a team would be smart to take a flyer on him.

58. Golden State Warriors — Alen Smailigic

6-10 forward, 18 years old, Santa Cruz Warriors

At 18 years old, Smailigic was the youngest player in the G League this season, and showed some upside while adjusting to the pace of the game. The Warriors are big fans after he played in their scheme this season, and are thought to want to continue down this road by getting his rights while they keep developing him at that level. I’d personally rather pick someone else, but this is what sources around the league think the Warriors will do.

59. Toronto Raptors — Quinndary Weatherspoon

6-4 off-guard, senior, Mississippi State

A final Portsmouth standout gets selected here, as Weatherspoon was terrific at the event and throughout his senior season for Mississippi State. He’s established himself as a legit potential draft pick already, due in large part to his shooting ability and length.

60. Sacramento Kings (from MIL) — Charles Bassey

6-11 center, freshman, Western Kentucky

Bassey is a tough prospect to peg right now. He was productive this season, but doesn’t really roll hard toward the basket and finish far above the rim. His mobility away from the basket also gives teams pause as to whether or not he’ll just get pulled away and taken advantage of by NBA guards. But his touch and rim protection make him intriguing for teams, at least.

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

Sam Vecenie covers the NBA Draft, college basketball and the NBA for The Athletic. His podcast, the Game Theory Podcast, is regularly ranked among the top podcasts on iTunes. Previously, he worked for CBS Sports, SB Nation, Sporting News, and Vice. Follow Sam on Twitter @Sam_Vecenie.

72  COMMENTS

Michael R.

16h ago

3 likes

Claxton being a first round pick surprises me. I really liked his game when I watched him play against UK but I figured he would be a fringe lottery guy next year.

Ike O.

16h ago

3 likes

That quote on Ja Morant is 👀

Michael M.

16h ago

1 like

Shouldve had spike lee up there not that loser ewing

Connor G.

16h ago

1 like

how big of a gap is there between hunter and reddish? would it be a surprise if reddish went to cleveland with hunter still on the board?

Korey K.

12h ago

I don't think so, I could see them realizing their window isn't gonna be open for a while and, event though Hunter is the better player now, reddish had a higher ceiling. They might just take the highest ceiling player.

Daniel L.

16h ago

Correction: Jrue Holiday is the Pelicans shooting guard, not a point guard.

George R.

15h ago

10 likes

@Daniel L. He plays both.

Daniel L.

15h ago

1 like

If he has to play the point, he will; but he’s found his stride as a 2 guard. It’s a minor point, but Jrue is being utilized primarily as a shooting guard.

Mike B.

16h ago

5 likes

Sorry, Romeo Langford just doesn’t make sense to me in the 1st Round. I know before the last season people were high on him but didn’t you see him play? Look, I could be 100% wrong but I watched him play and a guy who is in the top 15 should have been able to carry IU further

Nick C.

14h ago

3 likes

Cuz Ben Simmons took LSU so far when he was in college

Bryan S.

6h ago

@Mike B. I agree 100% with you, but I think at that point you're drafting potential and not production... I think he could have benefited from another season at IU but clearly he's not worried as everyone has him pegged to go in the 'teens.

Louis B.

16h ago

6 likes

Fabulous. And posted so quickly after the lottery drawing. I AM IMPRESSED!!!! It will be fun to compare with the actual draft next month,

Brandon A.

15h ago

4 likes

That's because 3/4 of it is copied and pasted from last time.

Mike P.

16h ago

17 likes

Thank God the Lakers didn't end up with the top pick.

Kevin B.

15h ago

6 likes

Can't believe you even had to write this. They had a 2% chance of getting 1-4 and still somehow got the 4th....the now 5 years of top draft picks for the Lakers make it look rigged enough. Getting the #1 would have blown their cover completely.

Daniel L.

14h ago

7 likes

@Kevin B. Oh please, enough with the “it’s rigged” conspiracy theories. Knicks fans seem upset because they only got the #3 pick. If it was rigged, they’d have got #1 — because a good Knicks team will help TV ratings. New Orleans and Memphis at 1-2 doesn’t help the NBA’s money at all.

David C.

3h ago

@Kevin B. Is that 2% correct? The article says at the top: "the Lakers, who had a 9.4 percent chance of moving into the top-four".

Mike M.

2h ago

@Mike P. Didn't really matter what pick they ended up with. LeBron won't/doesn't play with young guys.

Ryan W.

16h ago

3 likes

Another Luka from Slovenia? Are we even trying?

(I'm kidding-though I'd prefer Schofield, personally).

Dustin M.

16h ago

Re-read Pick No. 32.

Andrew B.

16h ago

Think if Terence Davis shows out at the combine he could move into the back end of the second round? Seems like the type of athlete who is gonna be able to put up some great workout numbers

Dylan K.

16h ago

3 likes

Langford to the Pistons would be a disaster. Has no place on that roster.

Austin R.

3h ago

@Dylan K. was just about to comment the same thing... would literally rather have any other player at 15 than him for the Pistons

Austin R.

3h ago

GIVE US MATT MCQUAID

Gerard M.

16h ago

Ok, the Knicks should take Barrett. But what will Dolan the Shemdrick do?

Rob R.

16h ago

Any chance the Kings trade into the first round? In this weak draft would there a be a point to that?

Alexis S.

16h ago

This is so good

Brian F.

16h ago

1 like

I don't see a way the Knicks can land AD. Disappointing but not surprising, the life of a Knicks fan.

Fernando L.

16h ago

3 likes

The biggest losers after today are the Celtics. They NEED Anthony Davis to have any chance to keep Kyrie and contend at a Championship Level. But now all they’ve got to offer the Pels are some junk First Round “Assets”, the regressing Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

Joe D.

16h ago

2 likes

Thanks Sam. I enjoyed your re-write of the first 15 picks. FYI to everyone the rest of the draft preview from Sam is the same as the previous one. I was hoping for a different take, but I understand the importance of getting this article out quickly. Good stuff.

Sam Vecenie

STAFF

13h ago

7 likes

@Joe D. that's not entirely accurate. Shifted a good amount of stuff around, including 16, 30, 57, 58 among others

Joe D.

9h ago

Ah, okay I missed that. Thanks for the clarification.

Brandon K.

15h ago

3 likes

Romeo Langford is the LAST player the Pistons need to draft. What a terrible pick

Dave G.

15h ago

1 like

What a terrific primer! Thanks Sam!

Kevin B.

15h ago

3 likes

This was great. Tanking in professional sports is absurd.

Here's to laughing at you Knicks, Suns, Cavs, Bulls!

Brooks O.

15h ago

4 likes

Lol Cavs weren’t tanking this year. They lost the 🐐.

Tim B.

12h ago

2 likes

The Cavs weren’t tanking at all... they lost the best player in the NBA and then their best remaining player got hurt for the majority of the season, and they were predictably bad. 

The Lakers getting a top 4 pick is heinous.

Nic S.

7h ago

Tanking = sucking but sucking doesn’t equal tanking

Kurt A.

15h ago

Are you assuming Tillie withdraws from the draft or due to the injuries just don’t see him drafted?

Ty H.

15h ago

Is Naz Little Stanley Johnson 2.0?

Ben K.

15h ago

3 likes

Glad to see Ty Jerome in the first round. Will be a steal at 24. His game and size are made for the modern NBA. Quickness might be an issue, but he’ll feel it out and be a professional scorer in the league for many years

J M.

15h ago

2 likes

Your description of Hachimura is that of a D league guy, describing a player who can’t shoot and can’t defend with no BBIQ.

Bruce H.

15h ago

Bol Bol and Louis King should both go back to Oregon for another year. Neither is projected to be drafted all that high and both can use more seasoning that will help them to be drafted nearer the top.

Jedi K.

13h ago

Sam, can you explain how you differentiate between the guard spots: guard, lead guard, and also tradition point guard/ shooting guard, as well as forward, wing, and traditional small forward bus power forward? Thanks!

Taylor H.

13h ago

1 like

Coby White is much more of a 2 guard and likely a 6th man. Doesn't make sense from a BPA standpoint either. 

Sekou is a better pick here because of his upside, versatility and professional experience.

Ben S.

11h ago

As soon as u said Zion is the best prospect since 2012 I stopped reading to comment this. As World Wide Wob said Zion is just Derrick Jones Jr with a shoe deal. Sure, he's beefier, but he doesn't have a right hand, doesn't defend particularly well nor get any lift on his jumper. If NOLA takes him they will get a big disappointment. He's like Anthony Bennett - freakishly athletic for his size, but just not polished enough to be a big factor. Give me Neemias Queta or Nassir Little any day - guys that can guard multiple positions, make the right pass, and score in a variety of ways. Read here for more of my analysis on the upcoming draft prospects: skinnersportsanalysis.com/
And seriously Sam, stop jumping on the bandwagon by grading players as everyone else does, seriously every mock basically says the same thing, it's as though everyone reads each other's mocks and just copies it to not seem like they're saying anything too outlandish. Evaluate players based on their traits not their hype.

Ish O.

11h ago

What’s this World Wide Wob’s talent evaluation resume like?

Ned R.

4h ago

@Ben S. If Zion is really 285 pounds with a 45" vertical, I see injuries. 

Now, if he slims down to 250 or so, his strong bones (from carrying extra weight forever) will let him survive NBA rigors. And his vertical will go to 60", which will allow him to dunk with his.....elbow

Matthew B.

2h ago

@Ben S. Well this is certainly a take.

Ben L.

2h ago

@Ben S. This is a mock draft, not Sam's big board. So he's not ranking these players by how he has evaluated them (that's what the big board is for); he's predicting the order in which NBA teams will select them. That exercise must account for hype, because teams' selections are going to be informed by that hype.
Also, Zion may be overhyped, but you are ridiculously low on him. He may not be the best prospect since AD, but dude's going to be a beast on both ends.

Ish O.

11h ago

I don’t know who GarPax will draft for the Bulls at number 7 but I can promise you the guy drafted at 6 will be a Hall of Famer

Christian M.

10h ago

Think Admiral Schofield is a legitimate sleeper pick. Definitely don’t think he’s worth it, but just have a feeling somebody is going to take a flier on Naz as well.

Matthew B.

10h ago

1 like

This feels like a lazy mock, like you took your old mock and explanations and just changed the teams and maybe a pick or two. 

I’ll look forward to your next piece.

Ben L.

2h ago

1 like

@Matthew B. He adjusted it to account for the draft lottery and made a few other adjustments based on feedback from league sources. Why would you want him to change it wholesale? Do you think that much new information has become available since the last mock? Or that he should just change it for shits?

Sam Vecenie

STAFF

1h ago

Bingo. Not gonna change stuff just to change it. And honestly, the lottery was a big enough shake up as is, shifting the entirety of the top-16. 

Also made moves around in the lower half, moving 30, 35, 57, 58, and a few others IIRC.

Will H.

7h ago

Sam the Sixers don’t have a first round pick this year due to the Tobias Harris trade.

Chris T.

6h ago

1 like

@Will H. no they traded their 2020 and the 2021 heat pick

Joseph N.

6h ago

2 likes

I hate the NBA forever, signed all Knicks fans.

Mike P.

4h ago

1 like

@Joseph N. I hate James Dolan forever, signed Adam Silver, ABC, ESPN & TNT.

Brent S.

5h ago

I really hope the sixers grab Jontay Porter

Kyle M.

5h ago

I really believe guys are underrating Carsen Edwards. I think he didn't show off much playmaking because he didn't get enough of a chance to. When he did show it off, he did it at a high level. Height is a concern, but he still has a massive frame so he wouldn't get bullied too bad. I think if the Celtics find their Horford replacement at 14 and take Edwards at 20, they're in decent shape having Tatum and Brown already on the roster.

Matthew B.

2h ago

@Kyle M. I mean, Boston could draft a guy who plays the same position as Al Horford or whatever at 1.14, but they're almost certainly not going to be getting a player of that caliber now or down the road.

Kyle M.

1h ago

@Matthew B. Totally agree. But Horford is 33 and has an option, and he wants to win. Even if he opts in we need a guy there after. They might not be the same caliber player or do the same things but I do think they need to start looking at replacements down the line.

RJ J.

4h ago

Celtics fan here. If Boston is going to reach at 14, I'd rather see them do it for a big like Bitadze or Bol instead of another swing wing. I like them getting Edwards and, again, would rather they get him at 20 than 22.

Austin R.

3h ago

2 likes

1. I would really hate the Romeo Langford pick at 15 as a Pistons fan, we need reliable players who can shoot, and he is the antithesis of that
2. Ja Morant + Jaren Jackson Jr would be so much fun to watch for the next decade, I hope that happens
3. The real draft lottery conspiracy--> the league purposely got everyone to freak out at the LAL got a top 4 pick, then gave them the 4th pick to throw everyone off their scent, while then giving the NOP the 1st pick to make up for the way Klutch tried to sabotage their team, and then trying to convince everyone the lottery is not rigged so they can continue to rig the lottery moving forward

Kyle M.

1h ago

1 like

The two lowest grossing teams, the ones in most danger of relocating got 1 and 2. The two biggest markets got 3 and 4. It’s clear as day.

David Z.

3h ago

Dave z. The magic actually select a shooter
My longshot pick is BJ Taylor UCF 
He is a solid 6ft 2inch a smaller version of pj tucker. Anyone who played next to tacko would look like a midget.

Jason G.

2h ago

do you see killian tillie coming back to school or maybe heading to europe?

Scott B.

1h ago

I was sad as hell at first, but all is not lost on my beloved Knicks...

theklowntimes.net/2019/05/15/all-is-not-lost-for-the-knicks/

Matt C.

1h ago

Hey Sam, great work. Question - What's Garland at in his recovery process? Is he going to be able to do any court work at all before the draft or will teams be going purely on the limited game tape they have?

Sam B.

46m ago

So the Pacers draft another meddling project...wonderful

Joe H.

22m ago

I just can't understand why these teams want to pass on Clarke, the second best athelete in the draft and just MILES better than anyone listed before him other than Zion, even with his age it would be shocking if Cam reddish was as good as him in 2 years.

READ MORE

Lottery Mock Draft: With the order set, our beat writers pick for their teams

By  Sergio Gonzalez

1h ago

Deitsch: How Zion Williamson landing in New Orleans might impact the NBA’s TV schedule and ratings

Richard Deitsch

May 15 21 Comments

Behind-the-scenes with Alvin Gentry as Pelicans win the Zion lottery, and more observations from the lottery room

Chris Kirschner and Mike Vorkunov

May 15 6 Comments

Inside the night the Pelicans won the Zion Williamson sweepstakes

William Guillory

May 14 12 Comments

The Knicks’ master plan came and went with the NBA Draft Lottery. So what’s next?

Frank Isola

May 14 112 Comments

Charania: Despite Pelicans winning NBA Draft Lottery, Anthony Davis still wants to be traded — Discussion

The Athletic Staff

May 14 40 Comments

National

NHL

MLB

NFL

NBA

College Football

College Basketball

Fantasy Football

Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Basketball

Fantasy Hockey

Golf

Soccer

MLS

Premier League

La Liga

Champions League

International Soccer

NWSL

The Athletic Ink

Podcasts

Video

US

Arizona

Atlanta

Baltimore

Bay Area

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indiana

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Minnesota

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma

Oregon

Orlando

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Sacramento

San Antonio

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Utah

Washington DC

Wisconsin

Canada

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Montréal (français)

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Buy a Gift

Student Discount

Share for $10

HQ

Blog

Careers

Code of Conduct

Business Inquiries

Press Inquiries

Writing Inquiries

Support

FAQ

Forgot Password?

Redeem Gift

Email Us

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Payment Terms

support@theathletic.com

получаетца сватают таких как: (G) Nickeil Alexander-Walker (#19), (C) Bruno Fernando (#29), (F) Yovel Zoosman (#49) для спурсов

вообще говоря, у читы вая шо в других моках - https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/15/2019-nba-mock-draft-zion-williamson-lottery-results/ - палучаем :

[# -- NBADraft | ESPN | SI.com | The Athletic † | Bleacher | The Ringer]

19 -- Charles Bassey | Talen Horton-Tucker | KZ Okpala | Nickeil Alexander-Walker † | Brandon Clarke | Rui Hachimura

29 -- Matisse Thybulle | KZ Okpala | Neemias Queta | Bruno Fernando † | Isaiah Roby | Nic Claxton

49 -- Tyler Cook | Naz Reid | Killian Tillie | Yovel Zoosman † |  n/a | n/a

робота по воркаутам проведена для таких лиц, как товарищей: Justin Robinson, Kerry Blackshear Jr., Jeremiah Martin, Jalen Pickett, Harry Froling (?), Obi Toppin, Isaiah Roby, Amir Coffey

следущий фокус для ребяток со шпорс, нужно перевести в области проведеных чампионитов, такие как патти милс и другие, в том чесле и заграничный и/или потенциальный пласт игроков, игроки применяют не по средцвеное участие

summer league next, can't wait (utah & las vegas both, yea baby)

Поделиться сообщением

13 часов назад, Живиле сказал:

❤️

XdN6O49gsKg.jpg

Очень подходящая сейчас картинка, но на самом деле и злится то не на что. И тренерский штаб, и игроки выжимают из себя максимум. Просто это скорее всего максимум для этого состава.

Поделиться сообщением

3 часа назад, Ph@ntom сказал:

Очень подходящая сейчас картинка, но на самом деле и злится то не на что. И тренерский штаб, и игроки выжимают из себя максимум. Просто это скорее всего максимум для этого состава.

если не ошибаюсь, то 32 очка за первую половину в 7 игре против Денвера, а так реально не за что)))

Поделиться сообщением

20 часов назад, Suriken сказал:

если не ошибаюсь, то 32 очка за первую половину в 7 игре против Денвера, а так реально не за что)))

Как раз 7 игру только и смотрел полностью из всей серии. По впечатлениям в основном от этой игры сложилось мнение, что первый раунд - потолок для этого состава.

Поделиться сообщением

продолжаетца активная подготовка к дрфату. от сперс. небольших дровишек подкидывает жабари янг, в статеечке рассказав об интеракции с товарищами Нассир Литтле (должен раньше 19 уходить), Николас Клахтон, Неемиас Куета во время прошедшего драфткомбайна. работа - кипит.

https://theathletic.com/982568/2019/05/17/nassir-little-feels-he-can-be-another-kawhi-leonard-but-will-spurs-be-the-take-the-risk-if-hes-available/

Спойлер

Toggle navigation

GIVE A GIFT

Nassir Little feels he can be another Kawhi Leonard, but will the Spurs take the risk if he’s available?

By Jabari Young May 17, 2019 3 

CHICAGO – “I feel like I can come in as like a second version of Kawhi Leonard.”

Those were the words that left Nassir Little’s mouth when he confirmed that he completed an interview with the Spurs this week in Chicago at the NBA Draft Combine.

Officials from all 30 teams attended the Quest Multisport Complex as prospects went through drills and measurements, and some even participated an exhibition game with the hope of improving their standings before next month’s draft.

Spurs GM R.C. Buford, assistant GM Brian Wright, vice president of basketball operations Brent Barry and director of scouting Dave Telep were all sitting front row watching and taking notes on Day 4 of the combine. The Spurs interviewed roughly 20 prospects, with more coming as the weeklong event ends Friday.

Little was one of the many, and probably one of the most confident. The University of North Carolina product played only one season under head coach Roy Williams, appearing in 36 games and averaging 9.8 points and 4.6 rebounds.

Talk about Little’s game with those in league circles who were in attendance Thursday, and the consensus is he’s one of the most athletic players in the draft. Little measured at 6-foot-6 with shoes at the combine, with a wingspan of 7 feet, 1.25 inches, which stood out. The Spurs can’t teach athleticism, and they can’t teach wingspan, either. Little has both.

When it comes to Little’s game, you’ll hear mixed reviews. While some believe the talent is there, the big question is how he will develop? Little, 19, is said to be a hard worker but has problems with his shooting.

Look at Little’s stats from 3; he shot 26.9 percent. And his free throw percentage was 77 percent. For a guard, that isn’t terrific. But since Little compared his game to Leonard, a quick visit to the former Spurs star’s first year at San Diego State is in order. Leonard had similar shooting stats (20.5 percent from beyond the arc, and 72.6 percent from the free-throw line).

Though his shooting touch needs significant improvement, just like Leonard’s coming out of college, Little can defend multiple positions, and his body is NBA-ready. It’s here where he sees the comparison.

(Kevin Jairaj / USA Today)

When asked again if he thinks he’s another version of Leonard, Little said: “Yeah. The first version of Nassir, but I kind of see some similarities in myself (and Leonard).”

Little said teams told him they like his versatility on the offensive end. His season high with the Tar Heels came in a Jan. 21 win over Virginia Tech. He scored 26 points on 7-of-12 shooting (2-of-3 from three) and had six rebounds and three assists off the bench.

“They like my ability to score the basketball in a variety of ways,” Little said. “Defensive potential to guard multiple positions.”

According to sources, the Spurs were one of the first interviews Little conducted at the Combine. He called the session “intense.” Perhaps he labeled it that way because the Spurs are more interested in the character of their potential targets beyond their on-court attributes.

Again, Little doesn’t lack in the confidence department. That much was evident when he aimed to be another version of Leonard. For a player who hasn’t started a game in college, the decision to make such a comparison is applaudable.

Though the Spurs did speak with him, league sources tell The Athletic that a workout with the team is unlikely. The feeling is that Little will go before the 19th and 29th selections which the Spurs own.

But if he does fall to them, would the Spurs relish the chance, should it be granted, to develop this player? The talent might be too much to pass up.

(Dale Zanine / USA Today)

Making an early impression

One player the Spurs did speak with and saw on the court was Nicolas Claxton. Keep a close eye on the sophomore from the University of Georgia.

In his second season with the Bulldogs, Claxton averaged 13 points and 8.6 rebounds in 32 games. The only glaring problem, like a lot of young prospects at his position: Claxton needs to work on his shooting.

But in Thursday’s scrimmage, Claxton was labeled the best player on the floor by NBA scouts, as he finished with seven points, seven rebound and seven blocks in 20 minutes of play. Some team officials were impressed with Claxton’s energy and effort and ability to push the ball in transition. When asked about Claxton, one NBA scout had high praise, labeling the forward as a “stud.”

But while everyone is impressed with Claxton’s game, he spent time after his performance discussing his interview and workout with the Spurs, which occurred about two weeks ago in San Antonio.

When Claxton arrived at the Spurs’ practice facility, the one thing he said was on display instantly is the team’s gender diversity. With Becky Hammon leading the way, Claxton said he was thrilled to see so many women on the staff.

“That did stand out,” Claxton told The Athletic. “Mostly, it’s male-dominated, especially in the NBA. Having women in a place of power, I think that is big for women in general. It tells me, especially Coach Pop (Spurs coach Gregg Popovich), that he’s big on (empowering) women.”

Claxton said he spent a brief moment chatting with Popovich but was not star struck. Instead, Claxton revered the longtime coach and was impressed with the way he was able to lead the Spurs back from a disappointing NBA Finals loss to the Miami Heat in 2013, only to claim what was theirs the following season.

“That’s a legend right there,” Claxton said. “That’s really a basketball mega mind.”

Asked what he feels he can bring to the Spurs’ system, Claxton responded: “They like to have players that can defend well and that can play in that system and do a lot of different things on the court. I feel I can do all those things. I can defend well, I’m working on my shot, I can handle the ball, I can pass the ball, so I think I would thrive in that system.”

And the Spurs may think so, too, as there have been some early discussions about bringing Claxton in for a second workout, according to sources. If that is the case, team officials must’ve loved his interview where the Spurs pressed Claxton about his character.

From questions about his childhood to what he thinks of the Spurs to what he can bring to the team, Claxton felt he nailed it.

“I don’t have a single flaw about my character,” Claxton said. “I’m a great person on and off the court. I’m pretty sure they did background checks and things like that. I’m sure that’s the feedback they got.

“It wasn’t too intense,” Claxton continued when asked about the interview. “I felt extremely comfortable. That was an interview that I was extremely pleased with, just that whole process I was pleased with. I really love that organization.”

Claxton is still undecided about whether to stay in the NBA Draft or return to Georgia. The deadline for prospects to withdraw is June 10.

A hidden gem?

Another name on the radar who still undecided is Utah State center/forward Neemias Queta.

This is another prospect that has mixed reviews when among NBA scouts.

Some believe Queta, 19, is an athletic but raw talent that, if developed, can become interesting. And then some think Queta should return to school for another year to get more seasoning.

In 35 games, all starts, Queta averaged 11.8 points, 8.9 rebounds and 2.4 blocks in only one season with the Aggies. The Portuguese product, who will turn 20 in July, is scheduled to interview with the Spurs on Friday in Chicago.

Though raw and still not fully where he wants to be, there is a confidence about Queta’s attitude when it comes to his goal of making it to the NBA. With his rim protection and lob abilities, Queta said thinks he has the potential to be an early version of Rudy Gobert or Houston’s Clint Capela. But that is just the beginning.

Jabari Young✔@JabariJYoung

One player that is on #Spurs to interview here in Chicago is Utah State forward/center Neemias Oueta. Has a confidence about like Giannis had when he knew he wanted to be in the #NBA ... had to follow up and ask him again...

2:16 AM - May 17, 2019

62 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

“I feel in the future I can become a Joel Embiid, Anthony Davis, Nikola Jokic type player,” Queta said.

He worked out for the Jazz, calling it his best session so far, and though he too is undecided about whether to stay in or not, Queta said he likes the feedback that has been provided from teams who have shown interest.

When asked what he feels he can bring to the Spurs, should their interest pick up after his interview, Queta said: “A lot of effort plays. A lot of rebounds, a lot of defense. I can run the floor; I think that I can help the team by doing those little things a lot of people aren’t willing to do.”

Old Spur, maybe a new Rocket?

Former Spur Brandon Paul was in his hometown this week after his stint with the Zhejiang Golden Bulls of the Chinese Basketball Association where Paul averaged 28.4 points in 21 games.

Paul, 28, will return to Texas next week for an open gym workout with the Houston Rockets with the hope of securing a training camp invite where he’ll have an opportunity to play for a final roster spot a league source told The Athletic.

In one season with the Spurs, Paul played in 64 games averaging 2.3 points. He waived following the 2017-18 season.

(Photo: David Sherman / NBAE via Getty Images)

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

Jabari Young is a Staff Writer for The Athletic, covering the San Antonio Spurs. He has covered the Spurs since 2013 for the San Antonio Express-News and spent one season covering the Portland Trail Blazers in 2014-15. Follow Jabari on Twitter @JabariJYoung.

3  COMMENTS

Mike Z.

May 17, 3:02pm

4 likes

Good read, Jabari. Thanks for the insight from the Chi. Question for you - do you hear players discuss/acknowledge the idea that, from a developmental perspective, there is no better organization with which to begin your NBA career? Is that something that is widely accepted/acknowledged by the participants?

Jabari Young

STAFF

2h ago

Thanks Mike. Younger prospects aren’t probably aware too much but their agents know. The league knows SA is one of the best places to develop talent. That’s what they do.

Bhaskar A.

4h ago

Good reading. However, most mock drafts show Nassir, a bit higher than 19, the Spurs pick (around#12-15), Given the tight salary situation having another late Ist round pick (from Toronto) and the second round #46 could be packaged into a few places up in the Ist round) Rui Huchimora, is the pick, many mock drafts are showing as a possible selection. Also the last few picks in the draft picked by the Spurs have come from players representing colleges from the Western Conference - Derek White, Djounte Murray, even Chimezu Metu

READ MORE

By  Jabari Young

Apr 30

National

NHL

MLB

NFL

NBA

College Football

College Basketball

Fantasy Football

Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Basketball

Fantasy Hockey

Golf

Soccer

MLS

Premier League

La Liga

Champions League

International Soccer

NWSL

The Athletic Ink

Podcasts

Video

US

Arizona

Atlanta

Baltimore

Bay Area

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indiana

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Minnesota

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma

Oregon

Orlando

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Sacramento

San Antonio

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Utah

Washington DC

Wisconsin

Canada

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Montréal (français)

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Buy a Gift

Student Discount

Share for $10

HQ

Blog

Careers

Code of Conduct

Business Inquiries

Press Inquiries

Writing Inquiries

Support

FAQ

Forgot Password?

Redeem Gift

Email Us

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Payment Terms

support@theathletic.com

из воркаутных также нудно добавить в списка товарищей: D'Marcus Simonds, Nic Claxton, Brandon Clarke

вебсайт генерирует профайлы на пхп

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-draft-profile-Kevin-Porter-Jr-13843816.php

https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-prospect-profile-Cameron-Johnson-13850571.php

мок яху сватает товарищей Брендона Кларка (#19) и Гранту Вильямса (#29) в спурс (за вильямса двумя руками ДА, довольно качественный и перспективный гоат - та же кристиночка пеек в предидущей версии два ноль его также в шпарс засовает, только 19ом пиком)

майкл скотто мокирует следующих товарищей: Камерон Жонсон (19), Бруно Фернандо (29), Лука Шаманич (49) - читать в полном вольюме:

Спойлер

Toggle navigation

NBA

GIVE A GIFT

Scotto: 2019 NBA Mock Draft 1.0 — After lottery, the dominoes begin to fall and trade scenarios are taking shape

By Michael Scotto May 17, 2019 83 

The dominoes are starting to fall.

Throughout the entire season, NBA executives, agents, and players collectively buzzed about the possibility of a seismic shift in player movement this summer regarding superstars such as Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard and others in free agency and Anthony Davis, Mike Conley, etc. on the trade market. On Tuesday night, the future of several NBA franchises was shaped by several ping-pong balls during the NBA Draft Lottery as the scenarios for player movement began to materialize more clearly. We’ll examine those scenarios in this mock draft as the chatter amongst those executives, agents, and players has intensified all week.

The most meaningful domino to fall was the No. 1 pick and how it affects Davis’ future in New Orleans. Now with Zion Williamson unofficially a Pelican, New Orleans Executive Vice President David Griffin has different options regarding Davis.

While Griffin prefers to retain his disgruntled All-Star long-term, Davis’ stance on his trade demand hasn’t changed according to colleague Shams Charania. With the draft five weeks away, several teams including the Knicks, Lakers and Celtics will all ramp up their efforts to land Davis in a trade.

On Tuesday, New York lost its best potential asset to land Davis in a trade when the Knicks fell from the No. 1 to No. 3 pick and missed out on Williamson. If the Knicks want Davis, they’ll likely have to sell Griffin on reuniting Williamson with his close friend and former Duke teammate R.J. Barrett as a long-term foundational core for the Pelicans along with other young players such as Kevin Knox, Mitchell Robinson, Frank Ntilikina and future draft picks.

After trading former franchise cornerstone Kristaps Porzingis and the possibility Davis remains in New Orleans to at least start the season or lands elsewhere, there’s even more pressure on the Knicks to land a superstar in free agency such as Kevin Durant.

Speaking of trade talk, Mike Conley’s future in Memphis will be a hot topic over the next few weeks after the Grizzlies landed the No. 2 overall pick. The Grizzlies now have an opportunity to pair Jaren Jackson Jr. with Ja Morant as the foundational pieces of the future as they once did with Marc Gasol and Conley.

Indiana, Utah and Detroit all had trade discussions with the Grizzlies weeks before the trade deadline. Heading into the draft, Indiana only has point guard Aaron Holiday on the books, Utah’s starting point guard Ricky Rubio is an unrestricted free agent this summer, and Detroit’s Reggie Jackson is entering the final year of his contract at $18.1 million.

Trading for Conley would take the Pacers out of the mix for Brooklyn Nets All-Star D’Angelo Russell. As noted by The Athletic in March, the Pacers are a team to keep an eye on regarding Russell.

Conley, the Grizzlies’ all-time leaders in games played (788), 3-pointers (1,086), assists (4,509), steals (1,161) and points (11,733), played for Lawrence North High School in Indianapolis. A return to the area could appeal to the 31-year-old guard.

In addition to the Pelicans and Grizzlies, the Lakers also moved up significantly in the draft order vaulting to the fourth overall pick. For Los Angeles, it’s another potential trade chip the franchise can offer New Orleans in its pursuit of Davis.

On the other hand, the Knicks, Cavaliers, Suns, Bulls, Hawks, Wizards and Timberwolves slid backward in the lottery.

Sliding backward in this draft class is critical because it’s considered a top-heavy and overall weaker draft compared to years past when speaking with NBA talent evaluators.

Who is the next potential All-Star after Barrett is off the board? The most common phrase used by executives to describe the rest of the draft class is “a crapshoot.”

With that in mind, several executives around the league cited the Hawks, Celtics, Nets and the 76ers as teams looking to unload at least one of their draft picks on the trade market during conversations with The Athletic.

Atlanta enters the draft with five picks (No. 8, 10, 35, 41 and 44) and as general manager Travis Schlenk noted the Hawks “probably don’t want to add five rookies to this team.”

Boston has four picks (14, 20, 22 and 51), which Celtics President Danny Ainge will surely dangle as part of various trade proposals for Davis.

Brooklyn has three picks (17, 27 and 31) general manager Sean Marks can dangle in trade discussions to move Allen Crabbe and clear the necessary cap space for a second maximum-salary slot, as noted on The Athletic.

Philadelphia has five picks (24, 33, 34, 42 and 54) it can dangle to acquire veteran bench depth.

With the lottery complete, dominoes will continue to fall over the next few weeks, with the next step including private workouts for players that will help prospects rise and fall and trade discussions ramping up.

For now, here’s a projection of all 60 picks.

First Round:

1. New Orleans Pelicans: Zion Williamson, Forward, 18, 6-7, 285, Duke

New Orleans partied like it was Mardi Gras after winning the lottery.

New Orleans Pelicans✔@PelicansNBA

#PELICANS TICKET OFFICE IS WILDIN!!’ #BirdStrikes

2:55 AM - May 15, 2019

7,987 people are talking about this

“This is a great night for our city and our fans,” Pelicans Owner Gayle Benson said in a statement. “It is a new beginning as we continue working to build a championship team with David Griffin and Alvin Gentry. And, of course, Mr. Benson continues to look over us all!”

Williamson is a physical freak of nature in the mold of LeBron James thanks to his frame, speed and athleticism. He’s also drawn comparisons to a younger Larry Johnson and Charles Barkley. For more on Williamson’s game, be sure to check out this extensive scouting report detailing how he fits with the Pelicans by NBA Draft Analyst for The Athletic Sam Vecenie.

2. Memphis Grizzlies: Ja Morant, Guard, 19, 6-3, 175, Murray State

Thanks to athleticism reminiscent of Russell Westbrook, Morant enjoyed a meteoric rise to becoming the projected No. 2 pick in the draft. After recording a triple-double in a win against Marquette during the NCAA Tournament, Morant was asked what part of his triple-double made him most proud. “The 16 assists,” he replied. “That’s one of my favorite things to do. Just to see smiles on my teammates’ faces and being able to make plays and build their confidence.” It’s that type of mentality that helped Morant lead the country in assists per game (10). As noted above, Morant’s arrival could signal the end of the Conley era in Memphis.

3. New York Knicks: R.J. Barrett, Forward, 18, 6-7, 202, Duke

Entering the season, Barrett was the projected No. 1 overall pick, but has settled as the third-ranked prospect after Williamson and Morant made human highlight reels at the expense of their college basketball opponents. At Duke, Barrett shot 30.8 percent from beyond the arc and 66.5 percent at the foul line. Despite the underwhelming percentages, his shooting stroke suggests those percentages should improve over time.

“Be happy with what we have,” Knicks representative Patrick Ewing said following the lottery. “Cherish him, help him, support him, support the team, and hopefully, good things will come.”

4. Los Angeles Lakers: Jarrett Culver, Guard/Forward, 20, 6-6, 195, Texas Tech

The Lakers have Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Lance Stephenson and Reggie Bullock entering unrestricted free agency this summer. With a current core of LeBron James, Brandon Ingram, Kyle Kuzma and Lonzo Ball, Culver can slide into the two-guard spot as a long-term member of the core. As a sophomore, Culver showed the ability to handle the ball, make plays for his teammates and score when his number was called upon.

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: De’Andre Hunter, forward, 21, 6-7, 225, Virginia

The Cavaliers were one of the league’s worst defensive teams last season and are trying to build a winning culture following the hire of former Michigan coach John Beilein. Hunter was the ACC Defensive Player of the Year at Virginia. At the NBA level, Hunter can guard four different positions. Hunter also raised his game during the biggest moment of his career as he scored 27 points and grabbed nine rebounds in the NCAA championship game.

6. Phoenix Suns: Darius Garland, Guard, 19, 6-2, 175, Vanderbilt

In this scenario, Phoenix finally lands a point guard of the future to pair with rising stars Devin Booker and Deandre Ayton. Despite playing only five games due to a knee injury, Garland showed scouts he can handle the ball and shoot well beyond the NBA arc. Looking ahead, Garland will need to improve as a floor general and improve his physical frame to be able to fight through ball screens on the perimeter.

“Everyone is pretty good in this draft class,” Ayton said following the lottery. “You might never know if that is the missing piece to our puzzle. Next year, we’re not planning on representing anything up in the lottery at all.

“I’m not saying that we’re going there, but hopefully we get a piece from this Draft Lottery and just hope for the best. This is quite crazy to me. I’m not going to lie. I was pretty shocked when I got No. 6. I’m so shocked. That’s why I’m at a loss for words, to be honest.”

7. Chicago Bulls: Coby White, Guard, 19, 6-5, 185, North Carolina

After falling from fourth to seventh in the Draft Lottery, Chicago’s Executive Vice President of Basketball Operations John Paxson had an odd take on the results.

“My mind immediately went to the fact that three of the top four are going out West and New York didn’t get No. 1,” Paxson told reporters this week. “So that’s something in our favor.”

Currently, the Bulls have a young core of Zach LaVine, Lauri Markkanen, Wendell Carter Jr. and Otto Porter with Kris Dunn at point guard. At 25, Dunn hasn’t made the leap in his development Chicago hoped for after acquiring the former fifth overall pick in the Jimmy Butler trade. White’s ability to ignite transition breaks with his speed and shooting ability off the bounce and in pull-up situations makes him an attractive prospect at this spot.

8. Atlanta Hawks: Cam Reddish, Forward, 19, 6-8, 218, Duke

During his freshman campaign, Reddish underwhelmed as a shooter (35.6 percent overall). Nonetheless, his ability to handle the ball and size makes him an intriguing prospect. In Atlanta, Reddish would slide in at the three alongside John Collins in the frontcourt forming a nice young nucleus with Trae Young and Kevin Huerter.

9. Washington Wizards: Jaxson Hayes, Center, 18, 6-11, 220, Texas

Despite falling three picks after the Draft Lottery, the Wizards have a chance to land a long-term center in Hayes who averaged 2.2 blocks for the Longhorns in his freshman campaign. Dwight Howard and Ian Mahinmi are both in the final year of their deals. John Wall is coming off February surgery for his ruptured Achilles tendon as his four-year, $170 million extension kicks in starting next season. Washington can afford to be patient and take a prospect with a longer learning curve and upside.

10. Atlanta Hawks (Via Dallas): Bol Bol, Center, 19, 7-2, 235, Oregon

The Hawks will have an opportunity to land a center for the future with either Hayes or Bol potentially on the board. In nine games, Bol averaged 21 points on 56.1 percent shooting from the field and 52 percent from 3-point range, 9.6 rebounds and 2.7 blocks per game before undergoing foot surgery. Bol is a top-10 talent, but his medical background check will more accurately determine his range closer to the draft.

11. Minnesota Timberwolves: P.J. Washington, Forward, 20, 6-8, 228, Kentucky

Last year, The Athletic polled three general managers, four executives, and one NBA scout on Washington’s draft stock. At the time, six said he should return to school and work on his skill set, including his jumper. Washington gave NBA talent evaluators what they wanted to see and more. He improved across the board after returning for his sophomore season. The biggest leap in his development was the increase in his 3-point efficiency (.238 to .423). Forwards Taj Gibson and Anthony Tolliver are both entering unrestricted free agency, and the Timberwolves are searching for help in the frontcourt.

12. Charlotte Hornets: Rui Hachimura, Forward, 21, 6-8, 230, Gonzaga

Hachimura excels in the open court and uses a hesitation dribble to beat his defender to the rim. His jump shot has improved, but it’s unclear if he can consistently stretch the floor from beyond the NBA arc. Despite his athleticism, the Japanese forward is not much of a shot blocker around the rim. After next season, forwards Marvin Williams and Michael Kidd-Gilchrist both come off the books. Hachimura and Miles Bridges could give Charlotte a versatile frontcourt for the future.

13. Miami Heat: Sekou Doumbouya, Forward, 18, 6-9, 210, Limoges (France)

Doumbouya’s athleticism and rawness stand out when watching him on film. In Miami, a team with a strong reputation for player development, Doumbouya would have a chance to mold his skills, including his jumper, without being thrust into action prematurely. Similar to Brooklyn Nets Rising Star selection Rodions Kurucs, Doumbouya’s best chance at playing time in his rookie season will come from playing good defense and making hustle plays on offense as a cutter and transition scorer.

14. Boston Celtics (Via Sacramento): Nassir Little, Forward, 19, 6-6, 220, UNC

Little was a highly-recruited prospect out of high school who averaged only 18.2 minutes per game off the bench for the Tar Heels this season. Despite limited playing time, Little’s defensive length and rebounding for his position (4.6 per game) are the type of intangibles a winning team like Boston can use. Little’s 3-point shot (.269) could use some adjustments in the mold of Brooklyn’s Theo Pinson who went from a 25.7 percent at North Carolina to a 38.5 percent 3-point shooter in the G League. After entering the season as a projected top-10 pick, Little can work his way back into that territory during individual workouts.

15. Detroit Pistons: Romeo Langford, Forward, 19, 6-6, 215, Indiana

Langford entered the college basketball season as a projected top-10 pick, but was hampered by a torn ligament in his shooting hand, which was partially responsible for his 27.2 shooting percentage from beyond the arc. Despite the injury, Langford earned All-Big Ten second team honors. When healthy, Langford offers significant upside with this pick just outside the lottery. In Detroit, Langford could fill the final frontcourt piece alongside Andre Drummond and Blake Griffin.

16. Orlando Magic: Kevin Porter Jr., Guard, 19, 6-6, 218, USC

Porter Jr. showed he can score in a variety of ways and stretch the floor from beyond the arc (.412) in limited minutes (22.1). Surprisingly, Porter Jr. struggled from the foul line (.522) despite shooting well from the field overall. Porter Jr. fits general manager John Hammond’s desired prospect profile of being a young player with upside, length and athleticism. With Terrence Ross headed for unrestricted free agency, Porter Jr. could have an opportunity to earn meaningful minutes in Orlando on the wing behind starting shooting guard Evan Fournier.

17. Brooklyn Nets: Goga Bitadze, Center, 19, 6-11, 251, Buducnost

Bitadze became the third center to win the Rising Star award and first since 2006 (Andrea Bargnani) after averaging 12.1 points, 6.4 rebounds and 2.3 blocks per game. He’s shown an ability to defend and improve his range in EuroLeague action. Past winners of the award include Luka Doncic, Nikola Mirotic, Ricky Rubio and Danilo Gallinari. While Jarrett Allen is the team’s center of the present and future, Bitadze would provide depth at the center position with a different skill set. Keep in mind, we’ve seen the Indiana Pacers do well with a center tandem of Myles Turner and Domantas Sabonis.

18. Indiana Pacers: Brandon Clarke, Forward, 22, 6-8, 215, Gonzaga

Clarke is ready to step into an NBA rotation as a shot-blocking forward who can roll to the rim and finish on lobs in pick-and-roll action. Offensively, he needs to improve his range. After improving his free throw percentage mightily (.572 to .694), there’s hope he can do the same with his jumper overall. Indiana can add another shot-blocking presence next to Myles Turner in the frontcourt with the selection of Clarke.

19. San Antonio Spurs: Cameron Johnson, Forward, 23, 6-9, 210, UNC

Johnson is ready to contribute immediately to an NBA rotation as a stretch forward after shooting 45.7 percent from beyond the arc last season as a Tar Heel. He would give San Antonio another forward who could stretch the floor along with Davis Bertans. While his rebounding and defense could use improvement, Johnson has a skill that translates well to today’s NBA game.

20. Boston Celtics (Via Los Angeles Clippers): Keldon Johnson, Guard/Forward, 19, 6-6, 211, Kentucky

Johnson stepped up against top competition this season scoring 23 points against Duke, 21 against North Carolina, 20 against Auburn and 19 against Tennessee during the regular season. For Boston, young core pieces Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown could be used in a trade package to land Davis with the hope of re-signing Kyrie Irving. Johnson already has an NBA frame and provides insurance and good value here at No. 20 overall.

21. Oklahoma City Thunder: Tyler Herro, Guard, 19, 6-5, 195, Kentucky

The Thunder could use another guard who can spread the floor and create in pick-and-roll situations. As a freshman, Herro shot 35.5 percent from beyond the arc, an encouraging percentage.

22. Boston Celtics: Carsen Edwards, Guard, 21, 6-1, 201, Purdue

Edwards boosted his stock during the NCAA Tournament, averaging 34.8 points on 45.1 percent from the field overall and 45.9 percent from 3-point range in four games. Edwards can step in and play immediately on a team hoping to contend in the East next season and provide a cheap scoring option off the bench. Terry Rozier is eligible for restricted free agency this summer, but based on his recent comments saying he doesn’t want to be back in Boston would be an understatement. The Celtics have done well in the past with a small scoring guard named Isaiah Thomas.

23. Utah Jazz: Grant Williams, Forward, 20, 6-7, 236, Tennessee

Derrick Favors has a non-guaranteed deal for next season at $16.9 million, leaving a potential opening in Utah’s frontcourt. At Tennessee, Williams improved his shooting overall, from the 3-point line and foul line. Defensively, Williams improved as a rebounder (7.5 per game) and was a consistent shot blocker averaging 1.5 blocks in three seasons.

24. Philadelphia 76ers: Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Guard, 20, 6-5, 205, Virginia Tech

The Sixers need to find a guard for the future with J.J. Redick turning 35 on June 24. Alexander-Walker shot 38.3 percent from 3-point range during his two seasons at Virginia Tech. Last season, he improved as a playmaker (4.0 assists per game) and defender (1.9 steals per game).

25. Portland Trail Blazers: KZ Okpala, Forward, 20, 6-9, 215, Stanford

Portland has Enes Kanter and Al Farouq-Aminu entering unrestricted free agency this summer and could be on the hunt for frontcourt depth in the draft. Okpala, who shot 36.8 percent from 3-point range last season, would benefit from potential catch-and-shoot opportunities in pick-and-pop action with guards Damian Lillard and C.J. McCollum.

26. Cleveland Cavaliers (Via Houston): Talen Horton-Tucker, Guard, 18, 6-4, 234, Iowa State

Horton-Tucker is one of the youngest players in the draft class and can defend multiple positions due to his physique and wingspan. He can guard four positions on the court and help the Cavaliers address their defensive woes.

27. Brooklyn Nets (Via Denver): Ty Jerome, Guard, 21, 6-5, 195, Virginia

The Nets value a winning culture, shooting and positional size. Jerome fits that mold as a champion and 39.2 percent shooter from beyond the arc in three seasons as a Cavalier. With Allen Crabbe available on the trade market and Joe Harris entering the final year of his contract ($7.67 million), Jerome provides backcourt depth and insurance for the future.

28. Golden State Warriors: Matisse Thybulle, Guard, 22, 6-5, 195, Washington

The Warriors have plenty of offensive weapons, so this is an opportunity for the team to land one of the best defenders in the country. Thybulle was considered the best defender in college basketball and won Naismith Defensive Player of the Year and the Lefty Driesell award after averaging 2.3 blocks and 3.5 steals per game.

29. San Antonio Spurs (Via Toronto): Bruno Fernando, Forward/Center, 20, 6-10, 240, Maryland

Fernando hopes he will become the first NBA player from Angola. He has a high motor and improved defensively as a rebounder (10.6 per game) and shot blocker (1.9 per game). Offensively, Fernando can finish around the basket and be a rim roller in pick-and-roll action. In San Antonio, Fernando would provide welcomed frontcourt depth behind LaMarcus Aldridge and Jakob Poeltl.

30. Milwaukee Bucks: Daniel Gafford, Center, 20, 6-11, 234, Arkansas

Gafford earned SEC All-Defensive team honors after averaging 8.7 rebounds and 2.0 blocks per game for the Razorbacks. The Bucks don’t have a true center behind Brook Lopez, who is entering unrestricted free agency this summer. Milwaukee is loaded with shooting and scorers and could use Gafford’s size and athleticism around the rim as a shot blocker and rim roller. He would fit Milwaukee’s current core of young, long and athletic players.

Second Round:

31. Brooklyn Nets (Via New York): Eric Paschall, Forward, 22, 6-8, 255, Villanova

As noted previously on The Athletic, the Nets are searching for a forward who can stretch the defense this summer. Paschall can play both forward positions off the bench and shot 35.1 percent from downtown his past two seasons combined. “I think his game actually fits the NBA game better than college,” Villanova coach Jay Wright said. “I think he’s probably going to be a better NBA player than college, and he’s a hell of a college player.” Paschall will have to prove he can guard on the perimeter against smaller forwards. Last season, he showed a tendency to have antsy feet and had trouble staying in front of opponents who attack him off the dribble in open space.

32. Phoenix Suns: Mfiondu Kabengele, Forward/Center, 21, 6-10, 250, Florida State

Kabengele showed he can block shots (1.5) and shoot 3-pointers (.369) as a Seminole. Despite playing only two seasons at Florida State, the 21-year-old has a chance to earn rotation minutes in Phoenix. The Suns can use frontcourt depth behind Ayton and T.J. Warren while current backup center Richaun Holmes enters unrestricted free agency.

33. Philadelphia 76ers (Via Cleveland): Jalen McDaniels, Forward, 21, 6-10, 195, San Diego State

McDaniels will have an opportunity to develop slowly in Philadelphia as he develops his physique. Any team taking McDaniels is looking at his potential upside in two years as he continues to get stronger and improve his range on a more consistent basis. With Boban Marjanovic and Mike Scott both entering free agency, Philadelphia may need to fill voids in the frontcourt.

34. Philadelphia 76ers (Via Chicago): Jontay Porter, Forward/Center, 19, 6-11, 240, Missouri

Porter, who re-tore his ACL, can stretch the floor beyond the arc when healthy (.364) and is a capable shot blocker (1.7). Pairing Porter on the floor with Ben Simmons, who excels with four shooters around him to create maximum space for driving lanes, would be an interesting fit for Philadelphia. Depending on Porter’s medical background check, his spot on the mock could fluctuate rapidly over the coming weeks.

35. Atlanta Hawks: Nicolas Claxton, Forward, 20, 6-11, 220, Georgia

In this scenario, the Hawks already have Bol and Reddish at the top of the draft so they can take a swing on a developmental big man with upside in the second round. Claxton emerged as an athletic shot blocker (2.5) and rebounder (8.6) during his second season with the Bulldogs. The next step for Claxton in his development is his jump shot and extending his range.

36. Charlotte Hornets (Via Washington): Shamorie Ponds, Guard, 20, 6-1, 180, St. John’s

With Kemba Walker entering free agency and Tony Parker in the final year of his contract, the Hornets could use a point guard. At St. John’s, Ponds was the focal point of the offense as the go-to player but is a better playmaker than given credit. The biggest challenge for Ponds will be defending bigger guards at the pro level and consistently knocking down the 3-point shot. Back in March, one executive told The Athletic he pegged Ponds as a late first to mid-second-round pick, and one scout compared him to Brandon Jennings.

37. Dallas Mavericks: Luguentz Dort, Guard, 20, 6-4, 215, Arizona State

Dort is a good on-the-ball defender with an NBA physique who needs to work on his jumper (40.5 percent) and 3-point shot (30.7). With essentially a blank canvas around Luka Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis, the Mavericks get great value here in Dort who could sneak into the back of the first round.

38. Chicago Bulls (Via Memphis): Naz Reid, Forward, 19, 6-10, 240, LSU

While Lauri Markkanen and Wendell Carter Jr. represent the frontcourt of the future, the Bulls lack depth behind them with veteran center Robin Lopez entering unrestricted free agency this summer. Reid will see time at both the four and the five positions, has the strength of an NBA player entering the league and can handle the ball well for a player his size. Going forward, he must continue to work on his conditioning and improve as a shot blocker (0.7) around the rim.

39. New Orleans Pelicans: Louis King, Forward, 20, 6-9, 205, Oregon

The former five-star high school recruit finished the season on a high note in Pac-12 Conference Tournament and NCAA Tournament play averaging 16.4 points on 46.9 percent shooting overall and 50 percent from beyond the arc with 5.1 rebounds. The Pelicans have Solomon Hill and E’Twaun Moore entering the final year of their contracts this season. King can develop and potentially land a larger role the following year in New Orleans.

40. Sacramento Kings (Via Minnesota): Dylan Windler, Guard/Forward, 22, 6-8, 200, Belmont

The Kings love shooters around De’Aaron Fox such as Buddy Hield and Bogdan Bogdanovic. Here, the Kings land one of the draft’s elite shooters in Windler who shot a combined 42.8 percent from 3-point range the past two seasons. Windler also is an elite rebounder (10.8 per game) for his position.

41. Atlanta Hawks (Via Los Angeles Lakers): Darius Bazley, Forward, 18, 6-9, 200, New Balance

Bazley was one of the top high school recruits before passing on the opportunity to play at Syracuse for an internship with New Balance. The versatile forward handles the ball well for his size and is worth taking a flyer on somewhere in the second round. Here, Atlanta takes a shot on Bazley with one of their three second-round picks.

42. Philadelphia 76ers (Via Sacramento): Admiral Schofield, Forward, 22, 6-6, 241, Tennessee

Schofield is a versatile forward who can stretch the floor from downtown (41.8 percent) and brings physicality with his 240-pound frame. If the Sixers are looking for players who can contribute immediately next season, Schofield would be an ideal candidate after developing over the past four years at Tennessee.

43. Minnesota Timberwolves (Via Miami): Charles Bassey, Forward, 18, 6-11, 245, Western Kentucky

Bassey, one of the youngest players in the draft, excels as a rebounder (10 per game) and shot blocker (2.4 per game). His jumper is still a work in progress. For Minnesota, the chance to land a diamond in the rough alongside Towns in the frontcourt is worth the flyer here at No. 43 overall.

44. Atlanta Hawks (Via Charlotte): Jaylen Hoard, Forward, 20, 6-8, 215, Wake Forest

Hoard’s length and athleticism make him worth a flyer in the second round as he works on his 3-point range. Atlanta, or another team who may trade for this pick, can roll the dice here with the hope of a larger payoff in two years.

45. Detroit Pistons: Ky Bowman, Guard, 21, 6-1, 188, Boston College

Bowman had a workout with the Nets, which caught the ear of veteran forward Jared Dudley who characterized the young guard as “explosive” in a tweet. Bowman can score attacking the paint or from beyond the arc (.374). At the NBA level, he will have to become more of a facilitator to earn minutes at point guard. For Detroit, Bowman can replace Ish Smith and Jose Calderon who are both unrestricted free agents this summer.

46. Orlando Magic (Via Brooklyn): Ignas Brazdeikis, Forward, 20, 6-7, 215, Michigan

The Big Ten Freshman of the Year was efficient from beyond the arc during his lone season as a Wolverine at 39.2 percent. Brazdeikis’ biggest challenge at the pro level will be guarding on the perimeter.

47. Sacramento Kings (Via Orlando): Isaiah Roby, Forward, 21, 6-8, 229, Nebraska

Roby averaged nearly two blocks per game over the past two seasons, which would be a welcome addition to a Kings frontcourt that lacked rim protection. Only Marvin Bagley III averaged at least one block per game last season for the Kings.

48. Los Angeles Clippers: Tremont Waters, Guard, 21, 5-11, 175, LSU

The Clippers lack a true backup point guard behind Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. After averaging 5.9 assists over his two seasons at LSU, Waters could fill that void. The biggest red flag against Waters is his diminutive size and ability to guard at the pro level.

49. San Antonio Spurs: Luka Samanic, Forward, 19, 6-10, 209, Olimpia Ljubanja (Croatia)

Samanic had a nice showing on Thursday with 13 points and seven rebounds while displaying a nice touch on his 3-point shot. The Spurs have been a stalwart when it comes to drafting and stashing foreign players and developing their talent over the years and Samanic could be next.

50. Indiana Pacers: Jaylen Nowell, Guard, 19, 6-4, 200, Washington

Nowell can score in a variety of ways as evidenced by his shooting splits from the field (.502), 3-point range (.440) and free throw line (.779). The Pac-12 Player of the Year has workouts scheduled with the Indiana Pacers, Orlando Magic, and Phoenix Suns following the combine, as reported by The Athletic.

51. Boston Celtics: Chuma Okeke, Forward, 20, 6-8, 230, Auburn

Okeke was effective on both sides of the ball for Auburn as a shooter (38.7 3-point percentage), defender (1.8 steals per game) and shot blocker (1.2 per game). Here, Boston lands a talented forward who would’ve gone much higher had he not suffered a torn ACL during the NCAA Tournament.

52. Charlotte Hornets (Via Oklahoma City): Tyus Battle, Guard, 21, 6-6, 205, Syracuse

Charlotte’s roster is loaded with players who can alternate between two positions and have been proven college players. Battle earned All-ACC honors twice at Syracuse and can play the two and three positions.

53. Utah Jazz: Yovel Zoosman, Forward, 21, 6-7, 198, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel)

Zoosman is a potential draft-and-stash player who can spread the floor. He has over a 7-foot wingspan, which makes him a more intriguing defensive wing than most traditional foreign prospects.

54. Philadelphia 76ers: Kyle Guy, Guard, 21, 6-2, 175, Virginia

In this scenario, the Sixers add a proven shooter, collegiate champion and complementary role player off the bench in Guy who boasted a 42.5 3-point percentage in three seasons at Virginia. The more shooters around Joel Embiid and Ben Simmons, the better for Philadelphia.

55. New York Knicks (Via Houston): Justin Wright-Foreman, Guard, 21, 6-2, 190, Hofstra

Madison Square Garden is a few Long Island Rail Road stops away from the Hofstra campus, and the team has been able to see the country’s second-highest scorer (27.1 points per game) in their backyard. Wright-Foreman has NBA 3-point range and can get his shot off the dribble with ease. At the pro level, executives want to see if he can transition into more of a point guard than a scoring guard.

56. Los Angeles Clippers (Via Portland): Simi Shittu, Forward, 19, 6-10, 240, Vanderbilt

The Canadian forward is athletic, but struggles from the perimeter as a shooter and at the foul line (57.6 percent). On Thursday, Shittu had 14 points, six rebounds and three assists during five-on-five play. A team with a strong development program would be ideal for Shittu who has upside as a potential small-ball five.

57. New Orleans Pelicans (Via Denver): Dedric Lawson, Forward, 21, 6-9, 235, Kansas

Lawson filled the stat sheet in Kansas across the board. In today’s positionless NBA, Lawson could get a shot in the latter stages of the second round based on his college production and readiness to play now.

58. Golden State Warriors: Deividas Sirvydis, Forward, 18, 6-8, 190, Lietuvos Rytas (Lithuania)

Sirvydis can shoot but needs to fill out his frame. Golden State can afford him that time and stash him overseas as they try to reload for another season as a title contender.

59. Toronto Raptors: Miye Oni, Guard, 21, 6-6, 210, Yale

Oni has a nearly 7-foot wingspan and has good size for an NBA two-guard. Here, the Raptors would welcome his length and defensive ability as a back end rotation player.

60. Sacramento Kings (Via Milwaukee): Phil Booth, Guard, 23, 6-3, 194, Villanova

Booth is a two-time college champion and was the Big East Tournament MVP last season for Villanova. He’s a scrappy defender who shot 37.1 percent from 3-point range combined the past two seasons. Booth could become the eighth Villanova player, counting Paschall, to earn an NBA roster spot since 2016.

(Top photo: Jonathan Bachman/Getty Images)

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

Michael Scotto is an NBA staff writer for The Athletic New York. This season marks his eighth covering the league. Previously, he was a national NBA writer for Basketball Insiders and a freelancer for The Associated Press focusing on Brooklyn Nets and New York Knicks game coverage. Follow Michael on Twitter @MikeAScotto.

83  COMMENTS

Ben K.

23h ago

Do you see Romeo Langford as strictly a 3 in the NBA? I see him as more of a scoring combo guard off the bench, especially in his first few years in the league.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

I see Langford playing the 2 and 3, Ben.

Cory F.

23h ago

Where do you see Jalen Lecque going now that he's likely staying in this draft?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

1 like

If he remains in the draft, I see him getting a look in the second round. I’ll have a more specific idea of his range once the combine is done, Cory. I spoke to execs and scouts regarding his game in a previous story for The Athletic. Here’s the link: theathletic.com/766383/2019/01/14/meet-jalen-lecque-future-nc-state-guard-or-2019-nba-draft-pick/

David M.

23h ago

No way Cam Reddish gets past the Cavs! No way!

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

5 likes

There’s certainly a possibility Reddish goes to the Cavs if they keep their pick, David. However, as of today, I don’t see that happening. Earlier this season, he was considered a top-five pick.

Ariel R.

20h ago

2 likes

@David M. Reddish showed zero reason why he should be a top 5 pick.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

20h ago

For what it’s worth, Reddish came into the season as a projected top-five pick, Ariel. I can see a team talking themselves into him slightly higher than where I have him now if he has an amazing workout and interview.

Erik T.

23h ago

If the Wiz are going to take a C, I'd rather they take a chance on Bol Bol since he can actually play the modern game. Plus his dad played for Les Boulez.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

I think Bol is one of the draft’s most intriguing talents, Erik. If his medical reports come back with positive news, I can certainly see him as a candidate for the Wizards if they decide to select a center. His range will fluctuate leading up to the draft.

Kyle M.

23h ago

2 likes

If the Celtics draft Nassir Little with Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown, and Gordon Hayward on the roster, I'll eat my Kevin Garnett jersey.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

4 likes

What if the Celtics agree to a trade for Anthony Davis and move Tatum and Brown? That was part of my thinking with Little going to Boston in this current mock draft, Kyle. On the surface, I absolutely get your point. Hope that helps explain my pick.

Kyle M.

21h ago

1 like

@Michael Scotto No I can definitely see the rationale behind the pick. And Little fits the Danny Ainge mold. I'm just saying I hope it doesn't happen. And I personally think if there is an AD trade, it is one of Tatum or Brown. Both is way too much in my opinion, considering the picks and other players likely attached to the trade. I like the mock though, well done.

Kyle M.

21h ago

2 likes

My bad if I came off rude towards you, I just meant I don't want that to happen. Would much rather Brandon Clarke at that spot. Regardless of the physical measurements, his defensive tenacity, ability to score down low, explosiveness, and potential intrigue me much more. That being said, I can very easily see the Celtics moving most, if not all of these picks.

I also love the Keldon Johnson and Carsen Edwards picks. Edwards would be a great Terry Rozier replacement because he's a similar player but with more playmaking ability, as evidenced by the flashes he showed when he played. I think the Purdue team limited his opportunity in playmaking. And I like the Keldon Johnson pick because he brings the tough personality this team needs back badly with how soft we were, and the ability to score without the ball in his hands all game.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

20h ago

2 likes

Glad you see my view point for the selection. Ainge has coveted Davis for a long time. Wouldn’t shock me if he parted with both Tatum and Brown to secure an elite big man such as Davis. I will preface that by saying I think he’d need a commitment from Kyrie to stay. PS I didn’t take your comment as rude, but I appreciate the clarity on that. I enjoy going back and forth with my readers. Clarke has gotten some buzz in that range, so you may get your wish! Glad you agreed on Keldon and Carsen.

Kyle M.

1h ago

Thanks for being so responsive with the readers it adds to the value of this site and why I love it so much.

To me though, and I heard this on the Lowe Post... what if Kyrie would hurt our chances of AD resigning rather than help them? Really, if you think about it, not too crazy of a scenario.

Dave W.

23h ago

3 likes

Man outside of Zion this really is a trash draft. Even Morant and Barrett have big questions and low expected ceilings. Boring

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

6 likes

Barrett was considered the top pick entering the college season. Morant has the athleticism of a young Russell Westbrook in my opinion. Did you see him in the NCAA Tournament? He elevated his school further than anyone imagined. Both have All-Star potential, Dave.

Wyndero G.

3h ago

Glad your not my GM. Lol......go hawks!!!

Wyndero G.

3h ago

It's not the best draft but come on dude

Todd M.

23h ago

3 likes

I hope Zion would be a younger Larry Johnson since LJ is in his 40s now

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

3 likes

Haha, Todd. I meant in terms of Larry Johnson as a young Hornet as opposed to him with a bad back as an older Knick.

GM L.

22h ago

No love for Tacko?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

2 likes

I heavily debated it! Someone will take a chance on Tacko due to his size. He may crack the second round in my next mock. His workouts will go a long way towards his range. He’ll definitely be in an NBA training camp this summer.

Adam L.

22h ago

As a Nets fan, I'd like Rui Hachimura.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

22h ago

1 like

Rui would be great value if he fell to the Nets at 17, Adam. However, I don’t see that happening as of now.

Korsen S.

22h ago

Any word regarding Juwan Morgan out of Indiana? I know he doesn't really fit the mold of today's Power Forward, but feel like he shoots well enough (and could improve) from outside to warrant at least a look from someone.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

20h ago

1 like

I currently don’t see him getting drafted. However, I can see an NBA team offering him a training camp invite with the understanding that if he doesn’t make the team he could go to their G League affiliate.

Sam J.

22h ago

What are your thoughts on the likelihood Marial Shayok gets taken in the 2nd?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

20h ago

1 like

Hi Sam, anything is possible towards the back end of the second round. However, he’s 23 and offers less upside than usual picks in that range. I currently don’t see him getting drafted.

Jonathan K.

22h ago

As a Magic fan I'd love them to pick KPJ. How much stock do you put into his issues at USC? simply immaturity or something to be concerned about possibly recurring?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

20h ago

Glad you agree with my pick, Jonathan. His issues at USC will be a topic of discussion during all his team interviews. He needs to go to a team with a strong culture and veterans around him ideally.

Deej E.

21h ago

Absolutely love okpala

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Okpala has some “love” from execs too haha.

Colin R.

21h ago

1 like

As a Cavs fan, I'm big a fan of this mock draft.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Glad you enjoyed the mock, Colin.

Kyle M.

21h ago

1 like

Would be very scary if Thybulle slipped to Golden State. Igoudala level defense. I did hear on a Chris Mannix podcast that there are rumors he was promised by a team in the early 20s, though.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Heard some rumblings he may go higher as well, Kyle. That’s the beauty of mock drafts. They evolve over the course of weeks leading up to the draft.

Bryce R.

21h ago

1 like

How big are the concerns of Bol Bol's health and competitiveness? I've seen mock drafts where he drops into the 20s because of it. I feel like Bitadze might be a safer pick with still a lot of upside.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Hi Bryce, the concerns over Bol’s health are legitimate. At this stage, I’m banking on teams taking a swing for the fences in a relatively weaker draft. Bitadze may not be known to the casual NBA fan, but he can certainly play. He has upside as you mentioned.

Rob C.

19h ago

2 likes

There is no way the Hawks are taking Bol Bol at 10. Skinny, injury-prone Centers just aren't high on the Hawks GM's wish list.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

17h ago

1 like

When healthy Bol is one of the most talented players in this draft class, Rob. I know others have him slotted lower in other mocks, but the talent is there and in a weak draft class I’d take a look at him if I were Atlanta.

Zach M.

21h ago

What about Jared Harper out of Auburn? He was raved about at the G-League Combine and earned an invite to the NBA combine. He is undersized, but could be a great bench player and has the speed to hang with any PG in the league.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Harper has helped himself lately, Zach. He could get a look in the latter part of the second round.

Christian V.

21h ago

2 likes

Man if only the Knicks were 4 or 5. Having Hunter, Jerome and Guy all in NY and Philly would be pretty cool.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

1 like

You must be a Virginia fan, Christian?

Shrey B.

21h ago

2 likes

Most are forgetting a powerful Knick trade chip. They have the Dallas #1 pick in 2021 completely UNPROTECTED. That pick could be very attractive given how the ping pong balls just played out and given the fog surrounding Porzingus. That pick could be a #1 overall...

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Shrey, you bring up a fair point here. The question is whether the Pelicans would prefer more immediate young talent such as Tatum and Brown in Boston.

Andy M.

21h ago

What a strange story this Bazley kid has. When he decided to skip college and go right to the G league, I thought he'd shaken the status quo. Then he wound up in a marketing internship (??). I think his next step will be right into the G league after all... Do you think he's a legit NBA player when all is said and done?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

I think Bazley can become an NBA rotation player, Andy. However, his road will be tougher now than a traditional prospect in my opinion.

Wyndero G.

3h ago

He got a million dollars for the internship.

Paul G.

21h ago

Hi Mike: How likely is it that the Nets package 2 of their picks to move up in the draft? For example, could the 17th and 27th get them into the top 10? Maybe get Coby White or Darius Garland to be their point guard if they don't re-sign Russell.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

1 like

Hi Paul, I don’t see the Nets trading two picks to move up in the draft. The team has found talent at later spots several times in the draft before with Caris LeVert, Jarrett Allen and Rodions Kurucs. I can see them trading their late first-round pick with Allen Crabbe to clear additional cap space if they can improve the team in free agency.

Wyndero G.

3h ago

I'm not familiar with u but u know your stuff...good work sir

Larry T.

21h ago

Do you see the Nuggets getting into the draft or will they be happy they have Michel Porter and Jarred Vanderbilt from last years draft?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

1 like

There are plenty of opportunities for Denver to get a second-round pick with teams like Atlanta and Philadelphia having an excess amount of them, Larry. Porter and Vanderbilt are both intriguing young talents who could play more this upcoming season.

Brad W.

21h ago

Come one Pacers. I’d LOVE to see the Pacers land Russel or Conley #PACERSNATION #INDYCORNROWS

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

As a Pacers fan, do you have a preference between Russell and Conley, Brad? If I were you, I’d want Russell more since he’s younger.

Josh F.

20h ago

TACO!

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

Bell? Just kidding, haha. Tacko Fall May crack the second round in my next mock, Josh.

Alex F.

19h ago

1 like

I just don’t see Bol Bol going that high to the Hawks. Too much risk. I’d rather have Hayes or the French kid.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

There are certainly others who agree with you, Alex. For now, I think Bol’s talent in a weak draft may win out.

Aaron S.

19h ago

Where would Vasilije Micic get drafted if he entered the draft today.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

19h ago

1 like

Hard question to answer since he was already drafted in 2014.

Nicholas S.

19h ago

I feel like Dedric Lawson is way too low here. He was dominant last season and has an NBA ready body.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

17h ago

He doesn’t have a specific skill that stands out. Nice all-around player who can do different things but nothing exceptionally well.

Trent W.

18h ago

If Iggy won't get drafted until later in the 2nd round , is he better off going back to Michigan for another year ( assuming he fits the new coaches style )?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

17h ago

Tough call here, Trent. Some players just simply want to start making money professionally at the end of the day.

Dave B.

17h ago

Michael, your thoughts on my man Mad Max Strus, can he slip into the 2nd round?

Michael Scotto

STAFF

17h ago

1 like

I don’t see it, Dave. I think he’ll get an invite to an NBA camp with the understanding that if he doesn’t make the team he’ll go to their G League affiliate.

Ryan W.

17h ago

Obviously would be easier to determine if free agency happened prior to the draft, but I'd be a little surprised to see Dallas take a guard over someone like Schofield (my personal preference, if available) or Samanic, for the cutesy "another Luka" factor. Though if they think they're going to miss on someone like Kemba, or Brogdon, or whoever, it's not the weirdest thing ever.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

17h ago

I can see Samanic and thought about him with Dallas’ pick, Ryan. Great minds think alike.

Shashika S.

16h ago

Great article, but comment under Phil Booth blurb should be corrected to "ninth Villanova player, counting Pascall, to earn an NBA roster spot since 2016."

2016: Daniel Ochefu & Ryan Arcidiacono
2017: Josh Hart
2018: Mikal Bridges, Donte DiVincenzo, Omari Spellman & Jalen Brunson

Michael Scotto

STAFF

13h ago

1 like

Should have specified that as currently in the league, which Ochefu is not.

James F.

16h ago

It doesn’t seem as though the Lakers pick at #4 is that prized as a trade chip - is any team really jonesing for Culver, Hunter, Garland etc. ? All seem to have a chance to be solid NBA contributors but are just as unlikely to become stars and franchise building blocks. Unless Griffin feels much differently about all the Lakers young players that Dell Demps rejected, that pick might not move the needle, unless he sees player(s) that he feels will fit neatly around Zion.

Michael Scotto

STAFF

13h ago

Agreed, James. There is a decrease in value starting at pick No. 4. I don’t think that pick will move the needle for LA to land Davis.

Peter D.

15h ago

I hope the Hawks pass on the Bol Bol hype

Michael Scotto

STAFF

13h ago

1 like

Impressive talent, but there are legitimate concerns.

Austin B.

8h ago

Why on Earth would the Pistons pick Romeo Langford? He wasn’t even the best freshman in his conference and the Pistons already can’t shoot. Tyler Herro, KZ Okapala, or NAW would be a much better choice.

David L.

5h ago

Tacko Fall doesn’t get a second round flyer from anyone?

David A.

4h ago

1 like

Or the wizards could just re-sign Thomas Bryant and not take a center considering they had freaking 4 of them under contract last year and basically have nothing else besides Bradley Beal

Ryan W.

2h ago

More of a general question, not specific to any given player: how "locked in" are teams to where they have guys slotted at this point? Obviously the expectation is the combine is going to provide another bit of information, but how much can a guy reasonably expect to help himself? Granted, it "just takes one team" to react to a performance, but still; I imagine it's seen more as a time to try and confirm beliefs as opposed to challenging them.

Jackson B.

6m ago

Any chance the Hawks could put 8 & 10 together to move up and get RJ?

READ MORE

Heat’s hopes of landing Kevin Porter Jr. fading after NBA combine

By  Shandel Richardson

2h ago

Giannis: This is a special group that we have right here and we realize that

Michael Lee

2h ago 13 Comments

After the Bucks’ lopsided win in Game 2, it’s time to start believing what we’ve been seeing

Eric Nehm

May 18 26 Comments

The Bucks are revealing all of the Raptors’ cracks

Eric Koreen

May 17 31 Comments

NBA ban for drug use ends Tyreke Evans’ rocky tenure with the Pacers

Scott Agness

May 17 6 Comments

Amick: Do the Warriors need Kevin Durant? Yes, and it’s not even close

Sam Amick

May 17 94 Comments

National

NHL

MLB

NFL

NBA

College Football

College Basketball

Fantasy Football

Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Basketball

Fantasy Hockey

Golf

Soccer

MLS

Premier League

La Liga

Champions League

International Soccer

NWSL

The Athletic Ink

Podcasts

Video

US

Arizona

Atlanta

Baltimore

Bay Area

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indiana

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Minnesota

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma

Oregon

Orlando

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Sacramento

San Antonio

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Utah

Washington DC

Wisconsin

Canada

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Montréal (français)

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Buy a Gift

Student Discount

Share for $10

HQ

Blog

Careers

Code of Conduct

Business Inquiries

Press Inquiries

Writing Inquiries

Support

FAQ

Forgot Password?

Redeem Gift

Email Us

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Payment Terms

support@theathletic.com

дежонта мюррей осаждает хейтерочков

диао и гинобили тусят на островах , поигрывая в спонсируемом данконом баскете, а также катаюсь на лодочке с миллсом и сплиттером

Поделиться сообщением

очередная минутка успеха для Шпорс, ведь стало извесно шо Траян Lэндлорд назначен ГМ хорнетс, с чем Зион Вильченко и поздравляю

maxresdefault.0.0.jpg

также ранешний игрок ЦЕСКА некоторое время спустя выгравшеми евролижный финальчик, шо также евляется триумфом для Мессина, побывавшего тренерчиком (также квин шнайдер побывал в ассистентов, Toros' very own) , но ето все в прошлом на сегодня ж палучаем в составе цеска, мой мужик де Коло (Торос и Спурс) - прирожденный побидитель сестемы Торос/Спарс

Мессина также паделился мнением на деликоный вопрос для издания еврохупс )https://www.eurohoops.net/en/nba-news/880855/ettore-messina-the-nba-isnt-easy-whether-youre-an-american-or-a-foreigner/), которому также пришлось преносить извенения в пользу шперс и месины за говножурналистический говновброс с претензей на пренцедент тамперинга (https://www.eurohoops.net/en/euroleague/880295/ettore-messina-vasilije-micic-would-be-great-fit-for-san-antonio/ --- https://www.eurohoops.net/en/backstage/881174/eurohoops-apologizes-to-the-san-antonio-spurs-and-coach-ettore-messina/)

продолжаем следить за квазианалитекой по драфтику с вебсайта

Спойлер

Toggle navigation

GIVE A GIFT

P.J. Washington, Grant Williams, Charles Bassey: The Spurs eyed all three, could be in a position to add one or two

By Jabari Young 6h ago 1 

CHICAGO — As he sat in his spot behind the podium surrounded by curious reporters, P.J. Washington fired off answers to various questions about his NBA Draft combine interview process as if he’d heard them all before.

Washington displayed no hesitation. He was quick, provided short answers at times and had some entertaining moments, too.

How many teams did he speak with?

“I had 13 (interviews),” Washington said.

Any regrets about returning to school after entering this same process last year? None whatsoever.

“I really wasn’t where I wanted to be,” Washington said. “This year, I’m definitely where I want to be. I’m confident in myself and confident in my ability.”

Asked if he would return to school for his junior season if feedback about his draft stock wasn’t to his liking, Washington lifted his head and simply said no — with a facial reaction that promoted those standing in front of him to laugh.

When it came to selecting a song that could sum up Washington’s combine experience leading up to next month’s NBA Draft, the University of Kentucky standout needed a brief moment to contemplate.

“Man,” Washington said. “That’s a good question.”

Washington, 20, is one of the more desired prospects in this year’s draft class. Mention the 6-foot-7 forward’s name to league scouts and GMs, and you’ll hear mostly positives — his shooting, which improved to 42.3 percent from 28.3 from beyond the arc, rebounding ability, explosiveness. Washington can defend, has shot-blocking ability and is athletic. He has all the tools needed to thrive in today’s NBA.

In his final season with the Wildcats, Washington averaged 15.2 points and 7.5 rebounds in 35 games. The Athletic’s Sam Vecenie’s NBA Draft Big Board Version 6.0 has Washington ranked 15th, with Vecenie’s Mock Draft 4.0landing Washington 13th with the Miami Heat.

“Washington is a player that would fit on their roster and give them some added size, toughness, and perimeter shooting,” Vecenie wrote, adding the Heat will help with keeping Washington in great shape. “His length could also help them in the smaller lineups that they enjoy employing.”

The thing is, the Spurs could also use Washington’s versatility and toughness. Out of the 13 teams that interviewed Washington, he mentioned the Spurs as the session that stood out. The meeting took place last Thursday in Chicago.

“I feel like that was one of my favorite interviews,” Washington said.

And the feeling was probably mutual. The Spurs like Washington, and few expect them to pass on him if he falls to 19, which is the first of their two picks in the opening round. But the chances of Washington falling that far are slim, which leads to the next question: Would the Spurs package their two picks and maybe more to move up and select Washington?

Spurs GM R.C. Buford did not get into specifics of the team’s plans, but as thorough as his staff is when it comes to the draft, it would not be surprising if there were internal discussions about moving up should the Spurs see a player they like. And if it’s Washington, so be it.

But with so much time remaining before the draft, the Spurs, like every other team, will exercise patience, as there is still much left to be determined.

“Who is going to stay in the draft,” Buford asked when speaking with The Athletic. “The results of the medicals. The time we’ve put into learning about these people — up until this point, it’s been mostly as players. Now you get an opportunity to learn about more than just having the scouting intel.”

Again, character and values are “important” for the Spurs, and Washington’s character appears to align with their culture.

When discussing how his game would translate to the NBA, Washington said: “I feel like it will translate a lot because the spacing is better. For me, it’s just staying in shape and keep working and developing my shot and stuff like that.

“My biggest thing is winning,” Washington added. “And I’ll do anything to help my team win.”

As of now, there is no workout scheduled with the Spurs, but that could change over the coming weeks. In the meantime, Washington will spend Sunday attending his sister Alexandria’s graduation before returning his attention to what is about to be a busy schedule from now until draft night.

Jabari Young✔@JabariJYoung

PJ Washington on interviewing with #Spurs ... “It was one of my favorite interviews.” Also said he hasn’t planned any workouts yet.

12:59 AM - May 18, 2019

37 people are talking about this

Asked if he’s had a chance to step back and take it all in, Washington said he has not found the time to reminisce about his journey so far but plans to do so when he’s able.

“Once I feel like I sit down and just look at it, it’s going to be pretty special,” he said.

Following that brief pause, Washington finally thought of the perfect musical selection to describe his draft combine experience.

“You listen to Gunna?” Washington asked. “I like ‘Baby Birkin.’ That’s one of his best songs.”

The first lyric to the chorus of that song, which appears on the “Drip or Drown 2” project, is “I know my purpose,” as the 25-year-old Georgia artist raps about the new success in his life, which allows Gunna to also provide for his family.

Washington realized his purpose long ago and is now ready to take the final steps to achieve his goal. Next month, he’ll find out if the next chapter includes the Spurs.

Tennessee’s Grant Williams. (Photo: Randy Sartin / USA TODAY Sports)

The other SEC guy

In looking at some earlier mock drafts, Tennessee’s Grant Williams was listed as a possible selection for the Spurs at No. 19, too.

On the first day of the combine, Williams was asked about his name being mentioned with the Spurs but declined to take it too seriously.

“I don’t really pay attention to draft boards,” he said.

In Williams’ junior season, he averaged 18.8 points and 7.5 rebounds. When discussing what he’ll bring to the table if he becomes aware of any Spurs interest, Williams stayed consistent with his message.

“The same thing I would bring to any team,” he said. “A competitive mindset, a person that is going to do whatever it takes to win. A person that brings value as a teammate, and whatever coach asks me to do, I’ll do.”

NBA scouts have praised Williams’ basketball IQ, passing ability in the post and floor vision. He averaged 3.2 assists last year, third on the Volunteers. In his final scrimmage game Friday, Williams finished with eight points, four assists and two rebounds.

Though it’s challenging to make a fair assessment about a player in a combine scrimmage game, on the final day in Chicago, Williams’ name surfaced as one of the best players participating in the two-day event.

“Grant Williams is a beast,” former NBA center Kendrick Perkins, who coached Williams in the scrimmage, told The Athletic.

Perkins sees what many scouts observed when it comes to Williams. He’s not the fastest guy on the floor, but he has an NBA-ready body and, again, he’s smart and knows how to play the game.

“He’s a guy that you can just stick out there on the court and he’s going to get the job done,” Perkins said. “He’s raw offensively. He can get better at that, but everything else, he’s everything you want in a basketball player.”

Some of the things Williams will need to address in his development are shooting (32.6 percent from 3 last season) and, at 6-foot-7, what his position will be in the NBA.

He’s strong and can hold his own in the physicality department, which should make him one of Gregg Popovich’s favorites should he become a Spur. But is Williams quick enough to be a small forward? Could he be an undersized power forward? Maybe even a five in smaller lineups?

“I say this: It’s not about who you can score on in the league; it’s about who you can guard,” Williams said. “And right now, if you were to ask me who I can guard, it’s any position from three to five. But I’m trying to expand that and go from there and try to expand it to ones and twos and be able to put me in any position on the court.”

Sounds like the perfect Spur, right?

“Offensively, I feel like I’m comfortable enough to play the game the right way, but it’s always been about the defensive end,” Williams added. “To me, it doesn’t really matter what’s going on in the game as long as we’re getting the job done. I can be the one scoring 20. I can be the one that hasn’t taken two shots but we’re winning the game, and that’s part of winning.”

Williams did learn of the Spurs’ interest before he departed Chicago and mentioned he’ll be heading to San Antonio for a workout but wasn’t sure of the date. But for those in attendance at the combine, the thinking is Williams will be a solid selection for any team.

“He’s going to be a great pro,” Perkins said. “I can see him having a 10-plus-year career. I love Grant.”

Western Kentucky’s Charles Bassey. (Photo: Steve Roberts / USA Today Sports)

The curious case of Charles Bassey

By now, the Spurs should have all the scouting intel they need on Western Kentucky’s Charles Bassey, the Lagos, Nigeria, native who moved to San Antonio when he was 14 and played at St. Anthony Catholic High School.

Bassey was in Chicago and played in one scrimmage game last Thursday, finishing with five points on 1-of-6 shooting and four rebounds. He measured at 6-foot-8 with a 7-foot-3 wingspan and has, as one scout put it, “a man’s body” that is ready for the NBA.

In the scrimmage, Bassey didn’t do too much to stand out, though, and at times appeared frustrated when he didn’t get enough touches, which led to his appearing uninterested during moments of the game as he just stood there. No cutting, no attempt to set screens, no movement. That started small rumblings throughout the Quest Multisport Complex about Bassey’s motor.

“It’s there,” said former NBA center Roy Hibbert, who helped coach Bassey in the scrimmage game. “It’s kind of tough when you’re in a situation where you meet your teammates yesterday and then have to go out there and play. He’s doing a good job, and he wants to learn.”

Bassey, 18, pulled out of Friday’s game, which some team execs did not like because they wanted another chance to watch him play. The read on Bassey by scouts is he’s considered an old-school-type post player with good hands and passing ability, and that he’s a rim protector and physical.

Bassey averaged 14.6 points and 10.0 rebounds in his only season with the Hilltoppers, and what has some intrigued is his shooting range. Bassey shot 45 percent from beyond the arc, making nine of his 20 attempts as a freshman.

“He’s a very talented young man,” Hibbert said. “He’s very coachable and willing to learn. I told him if he does the small things, that’s what people are looking for.”

The Spurs did not have a chance to interview Bassey in Chicago but do plan to bring him in for a workout.

Bassey also has to decide if he’ll stay in the draft, a decision he’ll evaluate now that the combine is over. But listening to Bassey speak, it sounds as if he wants to remain.

“I just feel like I can do this,” Bassey said. “I’m confident in myself. I love playing the game. I’m passionate about the game. I just feel like I want to take this step. I want to go to the NBA.”

ESPN’s college basketball analyst and draft expert Jay Bilas spoke highly of Bassey as a possible second-round sleeper.

“Charles Bassey is a good player,” Bilas said. “He plays really hard — can rebound, block shots. But the fact that his motor revs so high as a big guy, I think speaks well of him.”

While in high school, Bassey was considered a player with first-round potential. Asked why he feels he’s now classified as a second-round selection, Bassey said: “To be honest, I don’t know. But like I said, my game will speak for me.

“I know what I bring to the game, and I know what I’m going to do when I step on the court. I’m going to play hard. … I’m going to play tough.”

The Spurs have the 49th pick in the second round to select Bassey, if he’s there, or could maybe use the 29th pick in the first round to grab him if they decide he fits.

(Top photo: Randy Sartin / USA Today Sports)

MEH

SOLID

AWESOME

1  COMMENT

Andrew W.

1h ago

Great article. Spurs fans need more articles like this. Keep up the good work.

READ MORE

By  Jabari Young

Apr 30

National

NHL

MLB

NFL

NBA

College Football

College Basketball

Fantasy Football

Fantasy Baseball

Fantasy Basketball

Fantasy Hockey

Golf

Soccer

MLS

Premier League

La Liga

Champions League

International Soccer

NWSL

The Athletic Ink

Podcasts

Video

US

Arizona

Atlanta

Baltimore

Bay Area

Boston

Buffalo

Carolina

Chicago

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Columbus

Dallas

Denver

Detroit

Houston

Indiana

Jacksonville

Kansas City

Las Vegas

Los Angeles

Memphis

Miami

Minnesota

Nashville

New Orleans

New York

Oklahoma

Oregon

Orlando

Philadelphia

Pittsburgh

Sacramento

San Antonio

San Diego

Seattle

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Utah

Washington DC

Wisconsin

Canada

Calgary

Edmonton

Montreal

Montréal (français)

Ottawa

Toronto

Vancouver

Winnipeg

Buy a Gift

Student Discount

Share for $10

HQ

Blog

Careers

Code of Conduct

Business Inquiries

Press Inquiries

Writing Inquiries

Support

FAQ

Forgot Password?

Redeem Gift

Email Us

Terms of Service

Privacy Policy

Payment Terms

support@theathletic.com

также в санантонио в пятницу прошел концерт Ариана Гранде, прошедший в рамках шоу-программы серии концертов Ворлд Свитенер Тур, проходящих в рамках поддержки 4ого (Свитенер) и 5ых (Сенк Ю, Нектс) студийных альбомов певицы

Поделиться сообщением

В 18.05.2019 в 05:24, Тони Бачелло сказал:

как вас по аватаркам отличить?

Если присмотришься, состав людей на аватарках разный)

Поделиться сообщением

Для публикации сообщений создайте учётную запись или авторизуйтесь

Вы должны быть пользователем, чтобы оставить комментарий

Создать учетную запись

Зарегистрируйте новую учётную запись в нашем сообществе. Это очень просто!

Регистрация нового пользователя

Войти

Уже есть аккаунт? Войти в систему.

Войти

•  (0 пользователей онлайн):

Ни одного зарегистрированного пользователя не просматривает данную страницу